My Second Trip to the Track

cleveland

Founding Member
Feb 19, 2002
SF>...
The temperatures were great for racing today at about 82* with humidity @ 95% so I already knew I was going to run better than the 95* I ran in last time.

I dropped my tire pressure to 28psi and held the brakes till just before the breaking point at 2200. I cut a .519 reaction time but I really didnt worry about what I was going to cut so I took it easy for my first trip down the 1320 for the day.

The car is pretty consistant with a 2.07-2.1 60 foot time and I did it once again with a 2.105 even after adding the LCAs into the mix. I didnt expect them to do any better with my launch but this time out I had ZERO wheelhop and my other marker times improved across the board. I dropped 3/10th of a second by removing the front swaybar and passenger seat and adding the TB spacer and LCAs and running in cooler temps.

I ran a N/A best of 13.462 @ 104.015 on that run and I backed it up with a 13.478 @ 103.534. I cut a 2.085 short time that run too.

My 3rd run for the evening was the first of 3 nitrous trips of my 6 total runs for the entire evening. The car loved the nitrous today and I knew it was going to run faster than last time just by looking at my earlier runs.

I improved my 4th marker by a bit more than 2/10th but after that the engine didnt like 4th gear under the spray and dropped my power and held the RPM no higher than 4000. I did run a best of 12.823 @ 97.866 as I pretty much coasted the rest of the way after the 4th marker. Every other gear ran smoothly and very quickly but something was up just after it shifted into 4th. The next 2 trips down the track resulted in the same power loss and the last N/A run confirmed that it was something to do with the nitrous usage.

I still havent dyno tuned either combo for the most power and I know the torque converter doesnt like being run hard like that.

What do you guys think may be the problem here? Im thinking that a proper tune for the vehicle will remove that issue and free up more hp and torque throughout the entire rpm range, especially my low end right off my launch.

I was cut in the first run of brackets (4th run for the night) after dialing in @ 12.65 because it looked like I could come very close to that if my top end didnt run like crap again. The operator in the tower read my dial time as 12.05 instead of what it really was so I got screwed against an SUV running 16.9 or so with a dial time of 16.4. It was an "Oh well" type of moment and off to Fun Drags for the remainder of the evening.

I am happy with my new times and speeds but I have a bit of work to do before I can go back.

My best reaction time for the evening was a .198 btw.

• Sponsors (?)

My new best N/A run

na_drag_2.jpg

and my new best n2o run though a bit odd

n2o_drag_2.jpg

-Dan

I couldn't pull better than a 2.1 60' last wednesday. You are really better off running at TNT. They don't prep the track much on wednesdays(rice night). Looks like you did better than me to the 60ft mark though,track was probably still decent after the Ford vs Chevy even last weekend. That or you are just better on the hook than me. I just got some 275 bfg DR's in the mail,so that should take care of my 60' problem. :D Not sure what to tell you about the Trans,I don't know anything about autos. :shrug:

I like sticking to the test and tune just cause I get more seat time in for my money but this Friday was not open to the regular public due to some regional race event. The turn out was awesome and there was an even amount of domestic and import vehicles. I dont know if they prepped the track better than my previous TnT night but I did do about the same and a bit better.

My worst 60 foot so far was a 2.204 and I have the spinning on video. I needs the traction. Most of the time I dont spin much off the line but this time was noticably different, it felt like a was spinning forever.

-Dan

Update!

I got off the phone with my tuner and he is blaming it on the torque converter lock up, apparently 4th gear does the most work and thats why I see the power loss. My throttle body spacer probably helped in throwing me over the threshold of lockup due to too much power for my current tune for the auto.

At least I had the right idea.

-Dan