My venting complaint about our exhaust products

Just VENTING...I have quit a few experiences with some combinations of exhaust with my Mustang and I just can't seem to find the right sound for me!

Stock=I hate the thumping sound it makes during cold starts,My solution, I added an x pipe (with stock cats and Mufflers).Thumping went away but now the exhaust note is non existant!

So then I added an Off road x pipe with stock and Mufflers and the sound was way too raspy and too high pitched.

I added the Ford Racing/Stingers and the raspiness went way out of control so I added an offroad H pipe but only made it go away during certain RPMs.

I added high flow cats with X pipe with the Stingers and I was back to the original quiet stock tone!!! WTF!
The Stingers with stock cats are too quiet too.

I sold the Stingers and I now have the entire stock exhaust back on.
I can't decide on what else to get.

The Flowmaster axle back seems ok but I've seen to many come in my shop with surface rust!
Same way the JBAs. They get surface rust!I know the aluminized steel will rust but why do they rust so quicky!
I wish Flowmaster could make their axle backs with stainless steel and with better clamps. And I still keep hearing about the BAFFLES coming loose in them. I thought that was taken care of already!:bang:
Why does every company seem to want to sell their exhaust with rolled tips...why does nobody ever talk about Eldelbrock?Hooker?Magnaflow?Here on Stangnet I only seem to notice talk about Flowmaster, Borla,Ford Racing...:bang:
Thanks for reading:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Have you tried SLP Loudmouths? Or the SLP Powerflo? I haven't heard either in person, but everyone seems to be happy with the Loudmouths if you don't mind it being, well, loud. I haven't heard any reviews on the Powerflo's.

I have only 3/4 of a Ford V8 in my 06 convertible, and only 1/2 a dual system, BUT ...

The FRPP M5320 GTA muffler really works well: deep, quiet, solid sound at idle, unobtrusive but present and pleasing at cruise, hollers authoritatively at WOT.

I don't see why it - I mean a PAIR - shouldn't produce excellent experiences on a full-fledged V8/dual setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxfEFETgvIA

FRANK S, that's of the best exhaust video I've seen...I've heard those mufflers on a Shelby that I worked on the other day but they are too quiet for me.I want to hear some Edelbrocks!! I've heard that BBK is going to make their own axle backs soon... All the V6 Mustangs that have come in to my shop have a Flowmaster 40 welded on to the stock pipes, they sound good at idle but have needed to take any one of them on a road test...A lot of V6 Mustangs come in for service but rarley a V8...

Have you tried just taking the mufflers off and seeing how you like the sound with everything else stock. Out of all the mustangs I have heard I like mine best and all I did was cut the mufflers off and have a local shop weld me straight pipes on for $55.
At cold start its ungodly loud but after about a minute it goes down to a low gurgle that I like, and when you get on it it screams. I hate rattle pops and stuff whatever else I have heard I just like this best but thats my opinion.

Here's what I did:

First, SLP LMs: Sounded like what luckyflyinroush said. I was happy with that for a while but then wanted louder.

Second, SLP catted X-pipe w/ LMs: MUCH MUCH Louder!! There was some rasp but it wasn't that bad. I was running 4.30s at the time and down the highway it got old after a while.

Third, Above setup plus I had a muffler shop weld in some resonators mid ship. Quieter than before, about as loud as LMs with stock h-pipe. However the tone of the exhaust sounds much more like a 5.0 now at normal rpms (NO RASP). At high rpms it sounds more refined than before.

To me strait thru mufflers with a catted H pipe sound best on the S197. My buddies 05 has the stock H and SLP loudmouths and it’s the best sounding 05 I have heard. Granted I still like the sound of my 01 GT better but the 05+ stang won't sound like the older generation no matter what exhaust you have.

Thanks for the replies...I still feel alienated with the new Mustangs. Before I bought mine I was 100% out of the loop of what was going on with the aftermarket for thses cars. I didn't care since I was always in the 5.0 Forums...
I've tried every combo with the stock mufflers and the FRPP Stingers I sold. I hate how I'm so picky.Seems like a lot of us Mustang guys are the same way.
The last Mustang V8 that came in my shop was a 2006 with a Saleen Supercharger, very nice car!
The exhaust was Stock H pipe with cats, Magnaflow Magnapacks bolted at the mid pipe and no tail pipes! The pipes were dumped right after the axle!
That did sound very deep and nice.
I can't run that Mid Muffler style because my GT's ride height is so low with the Sportlines...
I'm just going to try the Magnaflows (the square ones).
I hope I like those or I'll have to sell, AGAIN...

Go mac axle backs with stock pipes.....very pleasing sounds. Although it may not be as loud as what you are used to with off road pipes, but my floor still shakes when someone starts my car in the garage....:drool:

darkfire scarlett sound awesome..do you still have the video clips of your 05?i still think it was the best sounding s197 i have heard yet..

I've still got this one... I need to take some more video. But Ellie is put away for the winter, so that won't be until spring. I may be changing out the Magnaflows for Pypes M80s and see what that does. Something happened to this video, it's supposed to be widescreen.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HG9qDwrDNxY

Found another one.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5205332007650072566&hl=en