Need 5 Performance Modifications

Lcarder

Dec 10, 2006
South Carolina
I just purchased my first Mustang, a 99 GT 4.6 L Automatic. I'm looking for any and all suggestions for the top 5 performance related modifications that I could make and roughly what they would cost. I want to keep the car street legal and will not be racing it. I've already been doing some really nice appearance related things and will upload some pictures as soon as I can.

• Sponsors (?)

For an auto I would say...

1. Predator or SCT programer 299-499 with a mail order tune from most sites (Acceleration via shift points, HP, niceties like turning off traction control idle RPM rang etc...)
2. Midpipe -100-700 installed (Depending on catted or non-catted) 5-15hp maybe?
3. Cat-Back -250-900 installed (Sound, minor gains)
4. Gears -400-900 installed (Acceleration) I think Autos need a tranny cooler with gears though?
5. Sub-Frame connectors - 300ish installed (Handling)

You didnt say how much you want to spend, but here is my list which involves
spending as little as posible.

1. Magnaflow mufflers, weld in.........$225 installed
2. Add K&N air filter, remove rubber silencer.....$50.00
3. FRPP 70 mm TB..... $175.00
4. C&L intake plenum...$175.00
5. Steeda UD pullies.... $150.00

Thats exactly what I did,, makes for a very nice street stang.

1. supercharger
2. torque converter
3. exhaust
4. 3.73 gears
5. Jmod.

i've got 1-3 and 4 & 5 are comming in spring. with 1-3, the car is insane. i ran a 12.697 with only 1 and 3.

Thanks for all the input. I had shoulder surgery last week and haven't turned on my computer since posting my questions. I should have asked what are the top 5 "bang for my buck" modifcations. It looks like there are things you can do for a couple of hundred dollars and then go up from there. I've already put on a Steeda CAI and X-pipes; I'm looking for my 3rd, 4th and 5th thing to do as soon as my shoulder heals enough.

The first thing I'd do is a take a real close look at your intake manifold and look for leakage or any trouble with coolant loss.

If haven't already read about it, Ford was involved in some litigation due to the fact that the plastic intake manifolds they put on some stangs were cracking. I remember reading on the forums here that it's not a matter of if your manifold will crack, it's a matter of when.

With that in mind, Ford will replace your manifold at their cost if the car is within 7 years of the warranty start date (you can sign up at form.com to learn your date). You might not even have this problem or maybe the previous owner already dealth with it. Just wanted to say something in case your warranty start date is soon to expire.

-BPM

Thanks for all the input. I had shoulder surgery last week and haven't turned on my computer since posting my questions. I should have asked what are the top 5 "bang for my buck" modifcations. It looks like there are things you can do for a couple of hundred dollars and then go up from there. I've already put on a Steeda CAI and X-pipes; I'm looking for my 3rd, 4th and 5th thing to do as soon as my shoulder heals enough.

Go and look at my first post.

Hmmm.... well I am no expert in the mods department but here we go....

1. 410 ford racing gear set ($400 with install) drop .5 tenths
2 PI 3200 Stall converter with tranny cooler..($1000 with install) drop another .5 tenths
3 Magnaflow catback ($400 with install) 15rwhp with dyno tune
4 Accufab plenum/TB combo... ($400.00, check "rpmoutlet" website) 10-15 rwhp with dyno tune
5. SCT Custom dyno tune ($350) Lets just say hand held tuners will do nothing till you tune your mods in first! With all my mods and a dyno tune it pull 58 more rwtq by 4100 and 48 more rwhp by 4300 and gained 25 hp and 40 tq at peak!

With those mods right there you will net another 30-35 rwhp and the car will launch harder than you can imagine with a set of MT DR's.....but what do I know....I only drive a 12.65 sec 1/4 mile NA auto 2v! :) If I were to do it all over again those whould be my first mods!

"ED"