Need Carb help

86 Sivercoupe

May 28, 2005
I rebuilt the carb on the 86. Looked easy enough,the accell. pumps rubber was cracked/tore. Put it back together with the new stuff,adjusted the new float per instructions. It'll crank but when you give it gas it just dies. I've adjusted the screw on the passenger side from all the way in to all the way out. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I know very little bout 1bbl carbs and even less bout the 4 banger. Is there a wrong way to put the TPS back on? or maybe Choke bad?

• Sponsors (?)

Got an 85 in the back, that I bought not running. I was surprised to find that it had EEC4 stuff on it. I have not tried to crank it yet, as I find this generation of vehicles very hard to work with.

Try pulling the codes. Note that the oxygen sensor and such must be working for it to idle.

was the car runnin before u rebuilt the carb.?

i rebuilt my 85 carb with my uncle in about 2 hrs, because i needed to make a few trips into town

my car would idle without the 02 sensor in it :shrug:

It would start but was sooo rich that black smoke poured out the back and if you didn't keep it moving the plugs fouled out. Once apart I figured that was because of the accelerators pump diaphram(sp?) rubber being bad.
The check engine light isn't on so I'm assuming that there isn't any codes.