Need help choosing cylinder heads

ColdAudio

Jan 9, 2006
im looking to pick up some of the best possible ones to use on a stock motor without having to cut the pistons... maybe heads that can be upgraded to bigger valves at a later time should i decide to stroke my motor i may as well go bigger

i was considering afr 185's but they are a bit pricey and i can get some killer discounts on other brands unfortunately not afr... any recommendations on similar heads or ones that would perform closely? i was looking at victor jr's but those will not clear stock pistons, the rpm heads will but only flow 170cc... any help is greatly appreciated. i was also considering a victor jr intake manifold for a bit more flow?

my current mods are just a ported cobra intake manifold and a B cam... should i also be looking at getting a bigger cam or different cam? also, what rockers should i be looking at getting? thanks a bunch

• Sponsors (?)

With the ported cobra intake you might as well find some gt40iron or gt40p heads for cheap. Then have them hand ported for street use. Which is just a port match, blending of the bowls and smoothing of imperfections. Then if you have a little extra money get them cleaned, checked and a valve job done. If you want to get rid of the ported cobra but keep your bottom stock, then get the BBK SSI intake manifold. It was just tested box stock and beat the cobra ported in MM&FF. Then get some aluminum heads like Holley or Edelbrock. They're cheap and respond well to basic porting. Also, keep on eye on ebay, sometimes they have some good ported heads pop up from some known vendors. Some say it's all about combination of parts. I say it's all about the amount of money you can spend!