Need help....Gas Tank Filler tube gasket..

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
Lancaster, PA
The other day I was doing some things, and I somehow ripped the gasket/rubber thing that goes into the gas tank by the filler tube, of course when I go around a corner gas leaked out because of this. I tried to use some Black rtv to seal it up so it wouldnt leak because I didnt know if I could get a replacement for it, or how I need to take it out. So my question is this, does anyone know a proper name for the part and if I can get it at any auto store or is it a ford only part, and how do I replace it? Do I drop the tank, along with the filler tube, and does that just come out or what? Im hoping its not part of the tank....thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If it is the grommet which mates the inlet tube to the tank, it is 20 bucks at the Ford dealer (I dont think parts stores sell it; online resto houses do though).

One does loosen the top end of the filler neck and drops the tank enough to finagle the filler pipe out. I lubed the grommet with motor oil - some use household stuff like Vaseline [I think].

You dont have to drop the tank much.

Good luck.

went to yahoo and typed in mustang gas tank filler tube gasket haha and found some stuff...I guess rtv melts when it hits gas...so I also guess that there is a replacement gasket, I assume you just drop the tank, pull out the filler tube if it comes out? and pull out the old rubber gasket and put in the new?

HISSIN50 said:
If it is the grommet which mates the inlet tube to the tank, it is 20 bucks at the Ford dealer (I dont think parts stores sell it; online resto houses do though).

One does loosen the top end of the filler neck and drops the tank enough to finagle the filler pipe out. I lubed the grommet with motor oil - some use household stuff like Vaseline [I think].

You dont have to drop the tank much.

Good luck.

thanks alot...I did a search and found some crap to...so Ill be good, to abd ford aint open on sundays LOL...hopefully its a easy job, lets just say dropping the tank is easy LOL, hope replacing the gasket is to haha...just gotta make sure I keep the tank almost empty haha

I guess this is what happens when your bored at work at 6:30 in the morning wiht nothing to do LOL

Yeah, it is an easy task. I was worried about tearing the new grommet, but it seemed fairly robust. I did one on an SN95 and the hardest part really was getting the tank around the exhaust pipes (to get the tank to the driver side to get the filler pipe out).

It should take an hour or less.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Yeah, it is an easy task. I was worried about tearing the new grommet, but it seemed fairly robust. I did one on an SN95 and the hardest part really was getting the tank around the exhaust pipes (to get the tank to the driver side to get the filler pipe out).

It should take an hour or less.

Good luck.

Yeah, I had the tank down 3 times already lol to try to find a leak, so should be a easy task, man, stupid stuff like this sure discourages me from doing anything to thte car haha

I just replaced this same gasket on my '84. I was able to do it without taking the tank all the way out, just dropping it down some. The new gasket cost $27 from the local ford dealer and the same part fits many different years and models so it should be in stock. No more smelling like gas fumes! My tank had a leaking O-ring around the fuel pump hole also. Couldn't find it until I turned the key on to pressurize the pump with the tank down.

you can get it at ford for sure.... wha ti did was went to the junk yard, and took one off a 4 banger stang, worked like a charm, wheni walked to the counter with it they just said take it lol

5.0resto.com carries the gasket you need, don't know if it is the proper name but they call it the Fuel Filler Pipe Grommet
9072a.jpg

http://secure.50resto.com/product1.cfm?SID=1&Product_ID=1795&Category_ID=1169
$21.95 Good Luck
EDIT sorry just read you already got it.