Fox Need Help With Some Parts

alright im back again because ive been looking at doing my replacement of parts slowly but surely. i have come to an apparent problem. i have an 88 mustang lx with automatic transmission. now i want to install bbk long tube headers and a bbk shorty off rode h pipe. i thought this would work. my mechanic says that it is not possible. i need some opinions and if it will work and if not why. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Why did the mechanic say they wouldn't work? LateModel sells BBK longtubes for 79-93 Mustangs with a 5 spd as well as automatic transmissions. You will need to unbolt the motor mounts and lift the motor up and toward the driver side in order to install the passenger header. A high torque mini starter is a good investment as well so the headers don't overheat it causing a (hot) no start.

I don't care if it adds 10-15 hp, on a street car do not do long tubes. You will hate it every time you need to service the starter or transmission.

How often are you servicing your starter or trans?

Long tube headers often have heat soak problem with the stock starter. Sitting in a parking lot or on the street until the hot starter cools down enough to crank the engine can be an unpleasant experience. Some neighborhoods are less than friendly places if you break down or stall out in them....

Reactions: 1 user
Are starters less accessible with Auto's than they are with T5's? My mini starter was super easy to install after my headers were in. I can see how it'd be a PITA to remove & install the auto with long tube headers. However, no pain no gain :shrug:

I'm a huge proponent of doing long tubes. I have never had heat soak issues, and have worked around them on starters and transmissions. Mine however are Mac long tubes. I would think your mechanic would be able to check on long tubes for auto cars and see they are available.

Are starters less accessible with Auto's than they are with T5's? My mini starter was super easy to install after my headers were in. I can see how it'd be a PITA to remove & install the auto with long tube headers. However, no pain no gain :shrug:

Some long tube headers have clearance issues with Auto Trans. Do a search here on Stangnet or contact the header manufacturer.

It doesnt make sense because he refused to install mac long tube headers and a mac shorty off road h pipe because he says the quality and fitment are garbage but the same bbk set up doesnt work? that doesnt make sense to me at all. someone please explain

Maybe this guy just doesn't want the job? I'd recommend using a different mechanic. I can say for a fact that my BBK 1 5/8" ceramic long tube headers and offroad H-pipe fit perfectly on my 88' Coupe although it's a 5spd. They make the headers for auto equipped cars but I cannot testify fitment quality for that setup. Either way you have to unbolt the engine to get the passenger side installed, shorties do not require that.

This picture is from latemodel restoration. Description says BBK, and that looks like an auto trans to me........

Attachments

• bbk-1510_1309.jpg
    bbk-1510_1309.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 159
Maybe this guy just doesn't want the job? I'd recommend using a different mechanic. I can say for a fact that my BBK 1 5/8" ceramic long tube headers and offroad H-pipe fit perfectly on my 88' Coupe although it's a 5spd. They make the headers for auto equipped cars but I cannot testify fitment quality for that setup. Either way you have to unbolt the engine to get the passenger side installed, shorties do not require that.
Yeah sounds like he's not wanting to hassle w the install. He'd make more money doing a butt-load of brake jobs in a day w out busting his back.

It's not gonna help as much unless you change the heads. The change to long tube moves the collector, thus changing where back pressure "begins" You won't really effect horsepower. It will have an effect on torque, but not enough to really warrant just going with a set of long tubes. You could find a nice set of used heads, make twice the power you would make over long tubes.

On a stock mustang. Long tubes are not where I'd start. Just slap an off road h pipe on and a cat back and move on to other areas

Thank You! Whew!

I don't care if it adds 10-15 hp, on a street car do not do long tubes. You will hate it every time you need to service the starter or transmission.

..and then this. The heat soak and extra hassle is not worth the 10-15 HP you'd get from an otherwise HEALTHY motor to begin with. You're not going to see this gain on a stock motor.

Maaaaan I love long tube headers but if you're getting old like me, have other things to do on the weekends, like your air-cond and power steeering well.... LTs can be a pain in the ass.

Reactions: 1 user