need help!!!!

i was just wondering if you guys could help me out by letting me in on any easy free upgrades i can do in my driveway to get a couple hp here and there.... maybe taking out the air box or something, im new to 5.0's and would like to konw how to do some stuff. thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

1) Take out the air silencer (looks like a black horn of some type) inside the fender connected to the airbox
2) Set tps to .099 (I think using green and black wires)
3) Bump timing to 12-16 unless you hear noises up a hill in high gear
4) Bypass smog pulley with short belt
5) put on underdrive pulleys
6) k&n filter

On a budget? do the junkyard upgrade...

Gears - 87-88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe rear axle - disc brakes and 3.55 or 3.73 gears in one package for $125-$300. Add another $100-$200 or so to complete the brake upgrade.

94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a $25-$35 flange adapter from Pro-M to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1

95-97 Ford Explorer intake manifold & throttle body $150-$300. The intake manifold flows 220 CFM +, much better than stock. Throttle body is 65 MM, bigger than the 60 MM on stock stangs. I got a 96 with EGR passages that match the stock setup, so my smog gear works just like factory. You’ll need a 65 MM EGR spacer & new gaskets for $65-$90 so you have a place to mount the EGR & throttle linkage.

3G alternator from 94-95 Mustangs or other Ford. $20-$120. A must have to make the electrical system work like it should. You’ll need a 4 gauge power wire and a 125-135 amp fuse to go with it about $15- $30.

Lincoln MK VIII electric fan -$40-$160. Free up some HP by not having to drive the stock fan. The 3G alternator upgrade is a must have prerequisite before you do the MK VIII fan. You won’t have enough electrical power if you don’t do the 3G upgrade.

Budget electric fan controller for the above fan.
A9L_e-fan_harness.gif

It uses a relay to turn the fan on and off, and uses the computer's temp sense to trigger the fan. It isn't adjustable in terms of temp to turn the fan on and off, but it is cheap. All you need is some 10 gauge wire for the fan power & ground, a 30 amp relay, 30 amp fuse, and some 18 gauge wire for the relay coil wiring.

See http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/A9L_E-Fan_How-to.pdf for the full tech writeup. You will need the Adobe Acrobat viewer which is also a free download – http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

*1.) I got a metal flange adapter from Powered by Ford for $35 and tax. That was over a year ago. Summit Racing may also have one too.