Need ideas, car won't start

tehnick

Nov 9, 2005
Beaverton, OR
Got up for work this morning and went to start the car, nothing. Just cranks and cranks and cranks like it is not getting spark or fuel. Being that I know nothing about cars, I am clueless. I have no idea what the problem is so I am curious if anyone here might have any ideas. I suspect it is probably the starter.

Probably going to call Landmark today and see what I can arrange to get the car down there. :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

Nick,

You might just have a dead battery. Did you try jumping it? If you get it started then, it could be time to get a new battery. Take it to a shop and have them test the alternator, starter and battery. I don't know if I'd go as far as taking it to Landmark unless they're close to you and you prefer them over anybody else. I'm not knocking Landmark in any way, but if it's out of your way to get there any Les Schwab or other battery/tire store can run these tests. Good luck.

Brian

The car has enough juice from the battery and tries to start. It is a healthy sounding crank from as far as I can tell, but it just never turns over like there is no spark or no fuel to get it to jump on. I am trying to figure out if it could be the starter or a fuel pump.

I just need to get it fixed due to being in a limited area for transit and I was lucky enough to hitch a ride to work today. Luckily I have a 3 day weekend to get something figured out, pay day being on Friday. Definitely don't need this drama but crap happens.

The car has enough juice from the battery and tries to start. It is a healthy sounding crank from as far as I can tell, but it just never turns over like there is no spark or no fuel to get it to jump on. I am trying to figure out if it could be the starter or a fuel pump.

I just need to get it fixed due to being in a limited area for transit and I was lucky enough to hitch a ride to work today. Luckily I have a 3 day weekend to get something figured out, pay day being on Friday. Definitely don't need this drama but crap happens.

What year of car? If the engine is turning over, but not running, then it's not the starter. It could be the fuel pump kill switch in the trunk, it looks like a little black box with a white button on top, push the white button down to reset it......

Nate:shrug:

What year of car? If the engine is turning over, but not running, then it's not the starter. It could be the fuel pump kill switch in the trunk, it looks like a little black box with a white button on top, push the white button down to reset it......

Nate:shrug:

I have thought about that and will fuss with it when I get home from work. The car is a 2002. IIRC, I have to access the switch from behind the molding in the trunk correct? I wish I could better describe what is happening to the car. I am not sure what would cause the fuel pump to get killed since there has been no impact to the car but it's a start and I will be sure to check that out.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I have thought about that and will fuss with it when I get home from work. The car is a 2002. IIRC, I have to access the switch from behind the molding in the trunk correct? I wish I could better describe what is happening to the car. I am not sure what would cause the fuel pump to get killed since there has been no impact to the car but it's a start and I will be sure to check that out.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

It happens more than you think, the switch just gets tired. I have had to replace a couple in both my cars (1988's). I might be wrong though, didn't know you had a 2002. One other thing you should do is listen for the fuel pump. Have a friend get in the driver seat and turn the key to the on pos but not turn over the engine. When he/she turns the key, you (at the back of the car on the ground with your ear by the fuel tank) should hear the fuel pump for 2 seconds or so. If you don't hear it, look for the fuel pump relay or the switch we already talked about. If you do hear the pump,.....:shrug:

Nate

p.s. You could always tow it down to Krazy Koncepts....:shrug:

OK, so I think I have it figured it out. I think it has to do with the PATS. I noticed that when trying to start my car the theft light blinks like a bat out of hell. After searching around on google it seems that it's the PATS going buggy on me. Not really stoked on having to pay for towing my car and then to have the car reprogrammed.

Your owner's manual should give you the info for programming the keys. Not sure about a complete redo though.

Problem is that I only received one key when I bought the car and the materials I read instruct that two keys will be needed or the car will have to be taken to the dealer. I am gonna give it a try just to be safe but I have a feeling I will be spending some money. :(

The problem is that I have no tools or anything and I have no idea what to look for or what to do. I don't know jack about cars at all. This has just come at a horrible time because I just spent around $2,000 to move into a new place. I really wish I could put my head through the wall. This pisses me off so much. I took a day off from work to try and get the car in, as well as a quote for the problem that I think is happening and no one is returning my calls.

:bs:

do you have a 2nd key? If you have a pair of keys try cycling one, then the other. If the theft light is flashing that is your issue. You will need 2 keys to reprogram the Pats. If you have a chip/programmer you can also burn out the Pats function.

John, IIRC means "If I Remember Correctly"