Need Some Help!!! - Coolant Leak

moneypitroush

Jul 11, 2017
Good Afternoon,

New here on Stangnet, and am excited to be here finally after using the forums to help advance in my mustangs occasional issues. I have a 03 Mustang Stage 2 Roush and need some help with the cooling system. I have recently replaced coolant reservoir, upper radiator hose, thermostat, 3-row radiator and the cooling fan. I noticed a significant amount of coolant was being lost after driving for some time (like the whole reservoir after a few days of driving). I was working on my headlights (installed Hids) when i found the place where the coolant leaks from. However, i don't know how to access it. I'm thinking i have to replace the gasket or make a new one but i can't seem to find a way to access the bolts. in the pictures to the left of the alternator, under the thermometer sensor is where the leak comes from. Leak is coming from area pointed by green arrow. The whole thing is connected with the thermostat housing. Please let me know if you have any advice. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    618.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    617.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0723.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG
    476.2 KB · Views: 172
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    486 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

It's leaking from where the arrow is showing. at cool and normal temp. i can hear it "bubbling" and can see it too. I think my manifold is fine but will still take everything apart. Won't hurt to change the manifold gaskets.

There is a common leak that I had to replace my manifold to fix a here while back. It occurs when the o-ring between the metal and plastic pieces there blows out or when a crack forms in the plastic between the metal of the coolant crossover and the head. Mine had both issues; I believe the o-ring blowout may have led to the crack formation or vice versa.

took everything out and was a bit surprised. Both thermostat gasket and other side of cross membrane the gasket was also shot. intake manifold to head gasket was also shot. And the manifold was broken as seen in the video in both places of cross membrane. Thanks for the help once again. Time to clean everything up, buy new intake manifold and put everything back in.

Sounds good. Clean up those mounting surfaces and the valley good while you've got it gutted. It's also a good time to use some compressed air to blow out the spark plug wells. A lot of debris gets down in there over time. When mine was leaking, quite a bit of coolant made it down into a couple of them too.

My tip would be to use meaningful thread titles when you create them.

You generally get more frequent and better responses when someone can read a thread title and know whether or not that's a system they are familiar with.

Please carry on, welcome aboard, and good luck! :nice:

I've updated your thread-title.

I bought the Dorman from amazon. Was going to get the one from AM but they look exactly the same
I just went through the intake replacing. My suggestion is do NOT use a Dorman intake manifold. Good chance you're going to have problems. Just google the problems people have had with the Dormans. You get what you pay for. I used a O.E Ford racing manifold. Cost is a bit more but you will only do it once. Good luck.

I have read the reviews on the dorman intakes and know they had many issues with the intake prior to the 02 mustang when the cross membrane was still plastic rather than aluminum. I did more research on the one I got and people say that there is power loss and that I'd need to hit the gas more than before to get up to speed. I think I'll return the dorman and get the one from AM. Should've done that in the first place. About $50 difference