Need some help removing bushings

ttopstang

Sep 6, 2007
Birmingham, AL
Anybody got any tips or tricks to remove the upper control arm bushings from the rear axle housing? Is there a tool I can rent at auto zone to make it easier?

I also have to install some new ones in there, so if you got any tips on doing that it would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

The thing is, I've got a rear end with good factory bushings from a 2000 model, and I want to put them on mine.

Mine fell right out. I just need to take caution when I take the ones out of the other rear end so I can use them in mine.

I used the search button and came up with nothing, except the MM tool that I don't want to buy.

The thing is, I've got a rear end with good factory bushings from a 2000 model, and I want to put them on mine.

Mine fell right out. I just need to take caution when I take the ones out of the other rear end so I can use them in mine.

I used the search button and came up with nothing, except the MM tool that I don't want to buy.

To remove them like mentioned above use a drill and drill holes all around the bushing, then use a punch and hammer to remove the metal sleeve. I crush the sleeve and then pull it out.

You will be hard pressed to get the bushings out of a rear and re-use them, they are extremely tight. You can buy the kit from Summit for less then $33, bushings, rear slip additive and new c-clips.. FMS-M-4050-B

Ford Racing M-4050-B - Ford Racing 8.8 in. Axle Installation Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Maximum Motorsports sells a removal/install tool for them and it works great. it is capable of taking out bushings without killing them. It's so great for installation too.