Need to rollback odometer

tca7291

I can see your wieners.
5 Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
As the story goes, I was able to find a Ford motorsports 160mph speedometer, and I want to put my actual mileage on it without breaking it. My current 85mph (car is an '87) displays 12xxx miles, and my new 160mph unit is displaying 37xxx miles, and well, I don't want to have to leave it hooked up to a drill for a month to make it roll over again. Any ideas? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Quicker way to do it is to remove the idler pin on the backside of the odometer, and roll the numbers to where they should be and reinstall.

BUT, be careful of this method as the idler wheels need to install a certain way. If you do this., take pics in case you mess up the order.

Last edited:
So, I have an old 90-93 2.3 speedo that I thought I would play with to get some ideas. I am assuming the 87-89 isn't that different from the 90-93 speedo. Well, I found that the drill method (driving the hub that the speedo cable normally drives) is going to take FOREVER!!! Also, I found that driving it in reverse will not work, as when the 1/10's get to zero, the drive gear will stop driving the reel. What I did find is that you can remove a little copper stop/retainer on the worm gear that is driven from the speedo cable and disengage it from the worm gear that drives the reels. From there you can spin the shaft that drives the reels easily. I put a small gear from one of my R/C cars in my drill, wrapped it with a rubber band, and I can run up about 100 miles per 10 seconds with this method.:banana: Now I just hope the 87-89 speedos are the same design!!!:)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363049575.245807.jpg

maqysupa.jpg

My '88s original speedo.

Swapped it for a 140.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363049634.940780.jpg

Figured I'd reset it too while out

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Attachments

• maqysupa.jpg
    maqysupa.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 189
  • maqysupa.jpg
    maqysupa.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 199
Sweet, yeah, that looks identical to the '90-'93 one I was playing with earlier. I also went ahead and pulled the idler pin and gears out and figured out how to reset it to 0. I wasn't comfortable messing with putting any other numbers in, but I did successfully reset it. That green gear/shaft is the one that I was talking about spinning with my drill. When I get my new speedo, I'll probably reset it to 0 and then run it up to match. Thanks for everyones help and input!!!:nice:

fUNNY mIKE!!! Believe it or not, my 1986 only has original 45,246 miles. Of coarse it sat in storage for the last 18 years!!! It still run fine though...

lol.. i hear ya. my 90 vert has just under 50K original miles too. I didn't believe it when I bought it 6 months go with 46k but I checked the title and carfax and it checked out. They are becoming very hard to find and if you do find one, people are pricing them like they are made of gold. I was looking at one a few months ago where the guy said it had 6X,XXX original miles and when I went to see it, I laughed my ass off. The first digit on the odometer didn't line up- an obvious sign it turned over- and the car looked like it had 26X,XXX miles on it. The easiest way to tell IMO is look for worn brake/clutch pedals. Scammers often overlook that when they try and make a car look newer with new carpeting, door panels, etc. Often they either forget to replace the pedal covers or take them off the brake and clutch.