New 03 Cobra owner... advice needed

ilumo

Apr 6, 2004
CT
Hey guys... well Im a lucky owner of a new 03 cobra. Now I have some questions about the reliablity of this machine ;)

Im about to goto the dealer to have tuned up and inspected before picking it up. Are there somethings I should have them look over specifically while tuning up so I dont pick it up and get a lemon?

I have test drove the car, and it sure gave me an ear to ear grin when I stepped on the throttle.

I DID hear some clunking sound when I downshifted to first from second... sounding like from under the car. I dont know what it could be. Also, I heard some slight whirring sound (not the SC whine) when I was giving it partial throttle in first. Kind of like a diesel car.

Also, what are some of the issues I should prepare myself for. Like weak tranny, engine components, or bad suspension, etc, and that I should fix or upgrade before it becomes a bigger problem.
TIA guys... :)

• Sponsors (?)

ilumo said:
Hey guys... well Im a lucky owner of a new 03 cobra. Now I have some questions about the reliablity of this machine ;)

Im about to goto the dealer to have tuned up and inspected before picking it up. Are there somethings I should have them look over specifically while tuning up so I dont pick it up and get a lemon?

I have test drove the car, and it sure gave me an ear to ear grin when I stepped on the throttle.

I DID hear some clunking sound when I downshifted to first from second... sounding like from under the car. I dont know what it could be. Also, I heard some slight whirring sound (not the SC whine) when I was giving it partial throttle in first. Kind of like a diesel car.

Also, what are some of the issues I should prepare myself for. Like weak tranny, engine components, or bad suspension, etc, and that I should fix or upgrade before it becomes a bigger problem.
TIA guys... :)

You may want to check out this link :

http://www.al***eek.com/03faq.htm#_Toc35092455

*** cant post the damn link since this system thinks there are three letters that migh offend someone :bang: :bang: ***

Try this link on another board (also good source of info) http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33446

There is a quality issues section near the end, but the whole document contains a wealth of info on 03 cobras.

Good luck.

awesome... thanks for that link, its on my favorites now :)
I think it solved my "clunk" problem:

5.3. The “clunk” issue
The “clunk” is a moderate volume sound which typically occurs after depressing the accelerator following a coast. It is very noticeable in 6th gear in most cases. This seems to be caused by play in the driveline, but also seems to be fairly normal in Mustangs, and so far, is not a major concern.

I hope it doesnt get any worse :)

My 99 Cobra had a similar clunk in 5th gear when you let off the gas and pressed it again. I think with the IRS you get the slop from the driveshaft u-joints plus the slop in the halfshaft u-joints together that adds up to make the clunk. I haven't noticed in on my 03 though. Only 2600 miles, maybe that's why.

Well I have had a lot of problems! One of the rod caps came off and the car threw that rod at 1286mi...They replaced the entire engine and late in the day that I picked it up the power steering quit and it dumped its fluid everywhere making a hellacious sound (Turned out to be a loose pressure fitting). I've had the car back for 13days now and it is back at the dealer as we speak for a new alternator and battery! I dont know whats gonna happen next... I love the car but its wearing me out.

Hang in there guys. I know its annoying as hell, but keep at it, these are great cars once you get the initial things ironed out. Still, kind of sad that we have to. Mine was in the shop for warranty work for over a month when I first got it. Small ding in roof, scratched gague cluster, 3 drive shafts, rearend assembly, ABS sensors, and the radio. And never take the words "it fixed" to really mean that. Test drive and do a u-turn right back if its not right.

Just make sure you hold onto your mods untill you are sure Ford is done building your car. :nice:

WOW... and to thing because the engines are hand built that the quality is going to be top notch. Now im kind of scared that something will go wrong with the car soon. It has 3700 miles, and I am picking it up in a few more hours. I really hope those problems dont happen... Im relatively far from the SVT dealers.

I guess I should hold off on doing intake and exhaust until Ive had the car for a bit. btw, how did you demolish "3" driveshafts?!! man...

ilumo said:
WOW... and to thing because the engines are hand built that the quality is going to be top notch. Now im kind of scared that something will go wrong with the car soon. It has 3700 miles, and I am picking it up in a few more hours. I really hope those problems dont happen... Im relatively far from the SVT dealers.

I guess I should hold off on doing intake and exhaust until Ive had the car for a bit. btw, how did you demolish "3" driveshafts?!! man...

No, I didn't, Ford did! None of the drive shafts (or the rear end) were broken, but I've had the replacements in an effort to get rid of the famous "vibe" issue. Working great now, but be sure you run your car up to 80 or 90 to make sure you dont have it.

Ok, thanks. i just picked up the car yesterday... and took it out for a "run". WOW... I love the power...(GTECHed it for 2 runs, couldnt get below a 2.4 for 60ft, not used to RWD torque ;) )
but another thing... when you are idling, does the car shudder sometimes, like its starving for air/gas. That happens to me, and I wonder if it has to do with any of the Idle air control units, unless that is normal?