New best at Orlando Speedway with my snake

Craig Mack

Busted Buffing the Bishop
Founding Member
Mar 9, 2002
Lake Mary, FL
I got 7 runs in tonite. It was my second time ever at the dragstrip (racing), so I am still very much a novice.

First run - Some ricer - Win (annihilated him)

Second Run - '00 Kenne Bell 500rwhp GT - Loss (got served :D )

Third Run - '01 SVT Lightning - Win (destroyed him)

Fourth Run - '01 GT 5spd - Win (spanked him decently)

Fifth Run - Same GT - Win (decent spanking again)

Sixth Run - No idea what the hell it was, but it was very loud - Win (served his @ss)

Seventh Run - SRT-4 - Got a 3.5 '60, got frustrated and coasted down the track. Ran a 24.4@45mph He ran a mid 14 though, I would have beaten him.

So all in all, as far as the racing goes, I kicked @ss. The only loss was against that monster GT. I ran a [email protected] that run and he ran a 12.6@120mph. He said he is making 623rwtq.

Anyways, I got a new best today. This was against the run with the n/a GT:

R/T --- 1.363
'60 --- 2.290
330 --- 6.168
1/8 --- 9.223
MPH --- 81.40
1000 --- 11.837
1/4 --- 14.032
MPH --- 103.48

Mods, same as last time:

Offroad X-pipe
Welded in Flowmaster mufflers
T/A @13*
Anderson Racing Powerpipe
Ford Racing 4.10 gears

So, [email protected] with a 2.3 '60. I figure if I perfected my launch to a 1.8 '60 I would be running ~13.4@105mph. Also, what really sucks is that I am shifting into 4th gear RIGHT at the traps. I mean I probably have 2 seconds worth of gear....4.10's are not the best track gear, i'll tell you that much. I'd probably get a better ET and trap higher with 3.73's or 4.30's.

Heres the thing: After almost EVERY shift on every run, my brother told me my car backfired. On the third run, after I passed the 1/4th and put the car in nuetral to brake, the car all of a sudden died on me. So I came to a stop, and it luckily restarted. I drove back to the lanes, popped the hood, and everything was still hooked up. I am convienced it is becuase of my intake. It relocates the MAF into the fenderwell, which is probably why the car died on me that one time. I had another Cobra owner get behind my car while I revved and he said it smelled very rich. It was soo rich, that after a couple of revvs to ~2700rpm, his hood was soaking wet. (his car was right behind mine). Probably the offroad exhaust and all the newfound airflow from the intake. I'm afraid the only way to solve this would be to do a chip & tune, which would render my timing adjuster a waste of money....so I don't know what to do now.

Questions/Comments please. I set up a dyno session for friday morning, can't wait to see how rich i'm running. A cobra friend said he thinks i'll dyno around 300rwhp...I don't think it will be that high, but we'll see.

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, a little short of 300rwhp. Mach 1's are running the times that you are hoping to run (13s @ 105) and they are getting about 270-275 at the tires.

BTW, if you get a better launch it is not necessarily going to improve your trap speed.

For comparison, my father (bone stock 97 Cobra) and I went to the track last weekend.

Here's a copy of his best run

R/T --- 0.748
60' ---2.201
1/8 --- 9.015
MPH --- 81.63
1/4 --- 13.893
MPH --- 104.19

It was made on 245/45 BFGoodrich KD @ 22 psi

Your 60' really need some improvement, what tires were you running ? As far as your dyno session, I would expect 275 rwhp

Avenger said:
Without 4.10 and the chip ?? :scratch: I don't see that happening without slicks :shrug:
i do, but what do i know....the point is you guys can say 500rwhp cars should be in the 11's, fact is they should be in the 10's. Ive seen a bolt one stang run in the 12's on street tires on stock gears btw

StngStr said:
300 rwhp and only [email protected]? Sounds more like 250 rwhp.

:scratch: So that would mean that all my mods have added 0hp, and have possibly taken some away. Right...

You have to remember I am new to the track scene and have a really hard time launching the car. Throw the *****ty track and humid weather into the mix and you don't have a recipe for the best ET's.

To put things into perspective, that '01 Lightning I beat ran a 15.1@93mph with a 2.3 '60. The 5spd GT ran constant 14.6-14.8's @96-97mph with 2.2-2.4 '60's. The supercharged GT (500rwhp/623rwtq) ran 12.6@120 with a 2.2 '60.

Avenger: What track did you run at? That MPH seems a little high for a stock Cobra, but like I said there are many factors to consider when it comes to the quarter mile.

Craig Mack said:
Avenger: What track did you run at? That MPH seems a little high for a stock Cobra, but like I said there are many factors to consider when it comes to the quarter mile.

local track here in Quebec. Cold weather, low altitude. The times in my sig were done the same day.