New best MPH & ET...questions too...

Mike86Stang

Advanced Member
Apr 11, 2000
Red Lion, PA
Well I went to cecil county raceway this saturday since it was going to be my last chance to race for the year... I managed to get 8 runs in all. A couple things to take into consideration. Previous bests were in 70-80 degree weather at a diffrent track, temps this day were in the 40's. I was smoking the clutch during the runs was getting worse as the day wore on. All shifts were made at 5800 RPM by the stock tach except the last run which all shifts were done@ 6000 rpm by the stocker.

Run 1

27* initial by the balancer /stock fuel pressure.

60 ft= 2.155 (street tires at 30psi)
1/8th ET = 9.302
1/8th MPH = 79.54
1/4 ET = 14.150
1/4 MPH =102.77 (This was worse than my previous best MPH 103.7)

Run 2 (back up run)

27* initial by the balancer /stock fuel pressure.

60 ft= 2.274
1/8th ET = 9.651
1/8th MPH = 77.88
1/4 ET = 14.56
1/4 MPH =101.42 (trans wouldn't go into second gear)

Run 3

27* initial by the balancer /1 full turn on the regulator

(Don't know the FP forgot my gauge)

60 ft= 2.241
1/8th ET = 8.926
1/8th MPH = 82.60
1/4 ET = 13.695
1/4 MPH =104.15 (better than previous best)

Run 4

27* initial by the balancer /same FP as previous run.

60 ft= 2.093
1/8th ET = 8.794
1/8th MPH = 82.56
1/4 ET = 13.539
1/4 MPH =104.68

Run 5

32* initial by the balancer /took out a 1/4 turn of FP.

60 ft= 2.081
1/8th ET = 8.717
1/8th MPH = 82.72
1/4 ET = 13.48
1/4 MPH =104.07

Run 6

34* initial by the balancer /same FP as previous run.

60 ft= 2.104
1/8th ET = 8.833
1/8th MPH = 82.24
1/4 ET = 13.614
1/4 MPH =104.14

Run 7

27* initial by the balancer /Took fp back up by a 1/4 turn.

60 ft= 2.116
1/8th ET = 8.805
1/8th MPH = 83.04
1/4 ET = 13.552
1/4 MPH =104.64

Run 8

27* initial by the balancer /same FP as previous

60 ft= 1.944
1/8th ET = 8.532
1/8th MPH = 83.48
1/4 ET = 13.247 BEST TO DATE ET
1/4 MPH =105.16 BEST TO DATE MPH

2 things I want to address...

First thing is that the EEC doesn't seem to be advancing the timing as it should. The timing diffrence between the spout in or out is maybe 7*, does this sound correct?

Second, the MPH still seems to be low but I know with more practice & a more accurate tach I should be able to squeeze out a bit more. Even if I can get another 2 mph out of it I would have figured on closer to 110mph

Thanks for any help!

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Mike, 27* initial timing?? Whats up with that? Is this a stock balancer? If your gaining 7* of timing at idle af6er you put the spout back in, sounds like its working fine. I guess you could try locking the timign out at 36* with NO spout and see if the car goes faster. Nice to see your improving. Just curious, ever change your spark plugs recently? My friends car was having issues running very slow at the track for the mods he had. he went to the dyno and on one of his dyno runs he changed the plugs and ended up gaining like 50hp (i don't know how) next time at the track he went 110mph from a piss poor 101mph.

Grn92LX said:
Mike, 27* initial timing?? Whats up with that? Is this a stock balancer? If your gaining 7* of timing at idle after you put the spout back in, sounds like its working fine. I guess you could try locking the timign out at 36* with NO spout and see if the car goes faster. Nice to see your improving. Just curious, ever change your spark plugs recently? My friends car was having issues running very slow at the track for the mods he had. he went to the dyno and on one of his dyno runs he changed the plugs and ended up gaining like 50hp (i don't know how) next time at the track he went 110mph from a piss poor 101mph.

Well to understand the 27* inital thing you would have to go back & read my other posts... Long story short the balancer has spun & I thought I was running 15* initial but it was really on 3*BTDC. I even turned it up as high as 36* intial still no ping, it just ran like crap.

Plugs are fairly new, replaced last in october maybe? I just pulled them out the weekend befor last & all the gaps were fine.

As far as the EEC goes, how much timing SHOULD it be throwing in at idle & above what rpm. I just want to make sure the EEC is doing what it's supposed to.

Thanks for the responces so far
Mike

Just for your info...my Autometer tach was at 5000 when my factory tach was at 5500. You may have some RPM left on the table. When you added FP you picked up significant MPH, I wonder if maybe you were actually running less than stock FP. Get a gauge and run again so I can learn from your mistakes..J/k. Also I was wondering what advantage is there to setting timing with total advance over standard issue setting at idle(spout out)????
Thanks in advance, Derek.

DMAN302 said:
Just for your info...my Autometer tach was at 5000 when my factory tach was at 5500. You may have some RPM left on the table. When you added FP you picked up significant MPH, I wonder if maybe you were actually running less than stock FP. Get a gauge and run again so I can learn from your mistakes..J/k. Also I was wondering what advantage is there to setting timing with total advance over standard issue setting at idle(spout out)????
Thanks in advance, Derek.

hey Derek thanks for replying..

Yeah I suspect there is some RPM on the table, how much I have no clue. Need to get an autometer to be sure.

as Far as the FP goes, I'm sure it was at stock pressure, what it's at now I have no clue. Got to damned cold last night to check

As far as the advantage, supposedly it will make more power even down low assuming the car doesn't detonate. This isn't what I did, my balancer is wrong so I'm just giving the marks where it's at by reffrence. To get my *TRUE* inital timing you'd have to subtract 12*.

Mike

Something I forgot to mention...

Don't ask me why but for the first time since I've had this meter I just noticed the other day at the track that it says "ELBOW" on it. Since this is set up with a stock inlet system is this screwing up the signal?

Congrats Mike, if you could hook it would go 12's...

What charts do you want for the EEC? Never seen a Pro-M with ELBOW on it but I would assume it means the stock or Pro-M elbow so you should be fine...

I picked up a little with the stock airbox and a cheap paper filter... :nice:

Thanks Rick :) feels good to have the car finally show a little more potential.

I wanted to know what amount advance the EEC has at idle/no load vs say 2000 rpm or 3000 rpm so I can check & see if the timing is advancing properly.

So you don't think the fact the meter is calibrated for a elbow before the MAF has any effect to how it runs with the stock air box instead?

The thing I was happiest of all about was the fact I beat my best on Drag radials, on a set of street tires. I was all $hitz & giggles

LoL
Mike

good job mike. mph is climbing. keep playing with the settings. sorry, i can't really help with the EEC. i can tell you however, that i have a Pro-M 75mm Bullet mass air meter with the stock airbox and K&N filter. i even have the stock rubber inlet that goes between the mass air and TB. so, you should be fine there.

i wanted to go saturday, but i had to work. now i have to wait until spring.

Thanks man, it's been a long time coming, but you still have me beat (bastard :)) LoL

On another site I was told that running slicks with the proper suspension & launching high will actually increase my MPH in the 1/4... any reality to this?

Would have been nice to bump into you up there, I made all those runs in a hour and a half including the adjustments between runs. So you definitely could have got your money's worth in runs but I got there late & left early so I figured 8 runs were plenty. Hell all the runs fell during an hour & a half time frame including tuning! Just flying through the pits...

Next time your planning on going let me know so we can hook up!

mike

You sons a bitches...you guys are tearing up the strip and it's friggin -1*F outside today, I"m reading this thread while my lil girl sleeps till spring (april/early may)...you guys are KILLING ME!!. Anyway REAL nice times keep at it and make sure to post when the 12.xx is on the slip.

willys1 said:
What r u using,,street tires?

Better yet, what brand and size tire. Just curious, and I might consider them next time I need street tires. I have a set of DR's now, havent gotten a chance to try them out. Nice job on the sub 2 sec 60's on street tires. You guys think its possible the clutch slipped just right and minimzed spinning? :D

Well talking to the friend that went with there was SOME spin in first coming out of the hole but nothing apparent there after.

Yes street tires /radials, no drag radials no slicks just street tires.

They are 265/50/15 pep boys futura GLS's Costs like 54 bucks a pop :D

I'm aiming for 11's on the motor or at the very least rock bottom 12's, I just want the MPH there before I go & spend a WAD on the suspension to get it to hook.

On my '89 'notch; I see about 4 degrees initial added by the EEC to my "spout out" setting of 18BTDC. At 3000rpm; it looks like about 16 total added or total advance added to my base timing. It's a real consitant reading at idle; but you will probably notice that here real quick.

Nice times. Looks like you will be running 12's with a set of slicks too me.... ;)

P.S. I don't recommend racing with a "spun" balancer which is what I'm thinking might be what's going on with your situation. The outer ring can come off or harmonics accellerate internal engine wear; not good either way. To just "limp" my car around\drive daily until I could afford a new "good" balancer; I removed #1 plug, used a coat hanger to feel the piston come up to TDC, verified rotor pointing to #1 terminal on cap, marked balancer at pointer for "zero", dialed initial into my timing light, & tightened down the distributor right on the "zero" mark. Of course, you have to have the right adjustable type of timing light for the job; but it does work to get you up & going down the road. Good luck!

Thanks Tony that was just the info I was looking for on the timing.

actually your thread started all this mess on coral :) That's when i started thinking my blancer was spun as well & it is. I decided to make some runs to determine if maybe that's been the problem all along & I think that was a big part of it.

What balancer did you end up getting?

On another site I was told that running slicks with the proper suspension & launching high will actually increase my MPH in the 1/4... any reality to this?

mike, i don't know how this is for everyone else, but my mph goes up with the slicks. i'm sure it's partially because i run 28" street tires and step down to a 27" slick.

i'll second addressing the balancer problem. does it wobble at all? if so, you may be wearing the crank bearings down.

once cecil opens back up (i think end of february), i'll be looking to go. i just bought some Competition Engeneering adjustable rear shocks i'll be ready to test. hopefully i'll have some good front shocks by then too. need to rebuild the T-lock too.

MSTANG said:
What balancer did you end up getting?

First off; I'm glad to hear you figured out what was going on with you're "ride".

I ended up purchasing a FRPP steel SFI spec balancer from a friend for $120.00 "slightly used". He owns a repair shop, the balancer was just lying around, & I needed to spend less than $300 bucks!

I'm thinking I'm going to run it tomorrow night at Palmdale since I haven't raced in about 1&1\2 months.....I'm suffering from "severe racer withdrawl" symptoms right now!;) The track probably won't be prepped at all; last race day until mid January.... I know, we've got it so bad out here being able to race year round & all, huh? :rlaugh: