New clutch whines

spock2001us

Aug 23, 2005
My clutch makes a sound like a hamster running on a wheel. It makes the sound whether in gear or not. It started after I had a new clutch installed a few weeks ago. I can make the noise stop by just touching the clutch pedal. I think if I tighten the clutch cable a bit, I can make the sound stop for good. But, by doing this am I only inviting trouble down the road? Or should I take it back to the trans stop and ask him to figure it out?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH

Took car back to guy who installed new clutch/plate and TO bearing. He told me it sounds like a bad bearing. I REMINDED him that he just installed the #$@%^&*(, :mad: he then REMINDED me that I brought him the parts. I bought the King Cobra clutch and TO bearing off the net....(he wanted $180 more for the same parts). :shrug: He told me it happens all the time with bad bearings, as if I would know the difference.

Now he (of course) he tells me he needs another $200 in labor to put in a new bearing......arrrgggghhhh....had I let him get the parts it would be covered by warranty....arrrgghhhh.....LOL :eek:

I got hosed :jaw:

Took car back to guy who installed new clutch/plate and TO bearing. He told me it sounds like a bad bearing. I REMINDED him that he just installed the #$@%^&*(, :mad: he then REMINDED me that I brought him the parts. I bought the King Cobra clutch and TO bearing off the net....(he wanted $180 more for the same parts). :shrug: He told me it happens all the time with bad bearings, as if I would know the difference.

Now he (of course) he tells me he needs another $200 in labor to put in a new bearing......arrrgggghhhh....had I let him get the parts it would be covered by warranty....arrrgghhhh.....LOL :eek:

I got hosed :jaw:

Not hosed... you bought the parts my friend.

always buy a ford TOB, I just had my clutch done a week ago. new flywheel, new clutch, new TOB and new pilot bearing. No noise, no issues.

This is very good advice. The TOB is labor intensive to change for such a small part. Really not worth skimping on. That being said, I have found some quality ones available aside from the Ford dealership.

Kurt

I am not angry at the mechanic, I perfectly understand......angry at myself for getting myself into this issue. I will take my car back to him and have him supply the bearings and get it fixed.

I feel for you and wish you did not have to deal with all that :bang:

Not to sound like a wise guy :nono:
but
The issue with the tb :(

So many have had that issue :crazy:
and
The advice from many has been to go Genuine Ford ONLY :Word:

I only bring this up to show everyone :)

Lots of peeps here have given all kinds sound knowledge :banana:
therefore
The thing to do is search out the info BEFORE doing any action

Why not replace it yourself and save the money

Grady