New Gauges

Owens 40828

Active User
Oct 2, 2016
I have been looking at replacing my after market gauges. I currently have Auto meter, oil pressure, temp, and air/fuel. Is Auto meter a good chose of brand or should I change. Is there anymore gauges I should get.

• Sponsors (?)

Autometer is probably the only brand I'd consider. I'd love the Ford Racing branded versions, but those are pricey.

My dream is for a drop in Florida 5.0 gauge cluster full of Autometer phantom 2 gauges, but I'd rather send a child to college than pony up for that setup

Reactions: 1 user
Should I even replace the narrow band, for the wide band. Since I dont doing any racing, is it really important to have such detailed information.

If you don't have an SC or turbo and you aren't all caught up in tuning and datalogging, just take out the narrow band and don't replace it at all.

I take it that we're talking about just the gauge? Yeah, pull it and leave it pulled. Leave all your sensors where they are though. :p

Then go back and permanently repair whatever was done to the wiring.

I take it that we're talking about just the gauge? Yeah, pull it and leave it pulled. Leave all your sensors where they are though. :p

Then go back and permanently repair whatever was done to the wiring.

Why would I take it all out. I thought having an ideal of what was going on would be better than not having g anything

I will be putting a turbo in before spring. So should I just wait till then, to make any changes

If you don't have an SC or turbo and you aren't all caught up in tuning and datalogging, just take out the narrow band and don't replace it at all.

What do you mean aren't caught up on tuning. I havent had my fox long. Maybe 2 months. Is there like a check list I need to go by. Or a list of things I need. Not to sound like a d head. Those are real questions. All the help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
What do you mean aren't caught up on tuning. I havent had my fox long. Maybe 2 months. Is there like a check list I need to go by. Or a list of things I need. Not to sound like a d head. Those are real questions. All the help I can get will be greatly appreciated.
What I mean is some of these guys tune as pretty much a hobby.

Not sure if you are reading it right, I said caught up "in" tuning, as in using a wideband and datalogging with software and tuning devices. Some guys around here do it more as a hobby than a necessity.
You may be reading as caught up "on" tuning, leading you to believe I think you a caught (as in slowed down by).

IMO, without a power adder, tuning has very little to offer for the what it costs to setup on a mild NA setup.

He just means that their are computers that you can get for your car that can tune it to the nth degree.

If you're just driving it and aren't pushing it close to the ragged edge of performance, you may not need all of the cool stuff out there.

Let's invite Steve to this conversation @a91what , he'll know better than I on the details of what a detail tuning can do for you.

BTW, +1 to Autometer

Tuning on a mild setup I useless IMHO..... the stock ecu can handle a lot when it comes to bolt on mods...
Once you boost the car you will need to take it for a tune, go somewhere reputable and don't cheap out.

I tune cars with aftermarket ecu as a hobby like stated above, it's NOT for the faint of heart.

For a weekend car or occasional dd a vacuum gauge would be far more useful than an afr gauge. If you truly are adding boost in the near future you will absolutely need a wideband. Be honest with yourself about the goals for your car. Not knocking you, but you haven't had the car long and I'm guessing you are new to the car scene if you're asking about Autometer gauges. Maybe get your feet wet with some minor mods and keeping the car running at its best for a while. Research what it truly takes to run a turbo. It's not a simple bolt on part. You're going to have to replace several major systems. Not for the faint of heart.

I am new to the stang world. The 92 I bought, is heavily modded. Everything on it has been changed. The guy I got it from keep a BOOK on it. It has 27k worth of upgrades to it. Now it had set for many years due to him getting sick. So I had to do some work to get it back up. From the long park.
My plans for this car is to have it as my DD. But if someone pulls up and wants some I can give them all they can handle. Or even go to track a couple times a year and just have fun.