New Guy Checkin' In

Bnovak

Dec 4, 2013
Just wanted to drop in and say hello. New guy from Phoenix. Just picked up a 1990 GT convertible, so let the fun begin! Will take some pictures this weekend, but the basics are that this is a short term SCCA / NASA project car.

Car details
1990 Red GT Convertible with ~125K on the Odo. No problems with emissions, body is straight, no rust to be found anywhere (I even went so far as to pull carpeting and do a scratch test around the notorious spots...nice buying cars in the desert!)

Top is completely shot, so it's coming off (car can live under a cover)
Interior has seen better days
All cylinders are showing fairly even compression around 130 :) so no major issues there.
Has CAI and 75mm throttle body done :)
Shocks and brakes ride like a 23 year old car, so they're getting a makeover
Already converted to 5 lug :)
AODE shifts without a problem, no problems at idle (wish it was a stick, but for the price, can't complain too loudly!)
Rear end was just replaced (they swapped in an entire drum based 8.8 with 5 lug, instead of looking for a disc setup, so I'll be junkyarding this weekend for discs.)

On the to-do list

1 - complete interior strip down. If there's any random interior parts your looking for, let me know and we can work out a deal. I'm going ALL THE WAY DOWN, so if you need corner class, door glass, motors, etc, lemme know.

2 - engine tune up - plugs, wires, points, distributor, clean / replace whatever sensors

2.5 - disc brakes for the rear

3 - roll bar - looking at the MM 4 point and the Autpower Drag bar (leaning more towards AP, little more structure since the car is getting stripped. )

4 - Suspension - if I can find good stuff used, I'll go that route, or the MM track pack.

5 - engine - down the road, either turbo's, NOS or SC. Maybe 331 or 347 build. More into handling...

Stay tuned, will work out a blog page with pics and updates :)

All in all, trying to keep overall costs <$6K. Not a bad target since I only paid $1500 for the car.

• Sponsors (?)