New hood, do I need to ride around before paint job?

SVT Chic

Aug 16, 2003
Maryland
I just bought a cowl hood for my stang and was told to put it on unpainted for a week or two to let it set in? Is this true, I know people do it but I wasn't sure for what length of time. Also, is this weather not the best time to do this???? Any info would help!

~Cheryl

• Sponsors (?)

Is the hood primered? What I would do, unless your stock hood is bent up and unable to be on the car, i would leave the cowl hood off. And then give it to a paint shop to get it painted. Then once its painted, let it dry and sit untill the weather is better. Then put it on your car. :) Any pics of your car??

SVT Chic said:
I just bought a cowl hood for my stang and was told to put it on unpainted for a week or two to let it set in? Is this true, I know people do it but I wasn't sure for what length of time. Also, is this weather not the best time to do this???? Any info would help!

~Cheryl

I just had a new hood on my car this winter. They just finished a couple weeks ago. The only problem that might come up is the time you have to wait to wax it. Dont you have to wait 30 days before you can wax the new paint? That might be an issue durring the winter with the salt and the crappy weather.

Where in MD do you live?
New front end painted

-Mike

Thanx for the input fellas, I was thinking about having it painted the first week in February but I may wait until the end of the month or early March when it warms up a bit more. I'm putting it on here at home so maybe I'll put it on a few days before I get it painted.

I live in Southern MD ;)

SVT Chic said:
Thanx for the input fellas, I was thinking about having it painted the first week in February but I may wait until the end of the month or early March when it warms up a bit more. I'm putting it on here at home so maybe I'll put it on a few days before I get it painted.

I live in Southern MD ;)

Sounds like a good plan to me. :)

Ill be moving back to Dover, DE when i get done with my tour in Korea :banana:

Saleen201 said:
Ill be moving back to Dover, DE when i get done with my tour in Korea :banana:
Mike, now you are staying in Dover? Somebody can't make his mind up. :shrug: :D

Cheryl, glad to hear you got the hood. I am by no means an expert, but I would suggest waiting until the warmer weather to have it painted and installed. And I've been told you have to wait about 90 days after it has been painted to wax it. But I'm sure people have different opinions about that.

;)

vipergts281 said:
Mike, now you are staying in Dover? Somebody can't make his mind up. :shrug: :D

No no no... I get back from korea and i have a tad over 1 year left in the military. So when i get back from Korea i will be staying in Dover for about a year. When i get out of the military (Dec/Jan of 2006/07) THEN i will be moving up to PA :nice: :banana:

-Mike

alot of places will bake your hood once it has finished getting painted but you will still have to wait the 30 days before washing and waxing if I remeber correctly. I got lucky when I got my hood, the guy I got it off of had a black stang. Unfourtunatly though it has a few flaws in it so I know I will be replacing this hood in the future but this one will do for now.

luther1228 said:
exactly what hood did you buy? i am scared to get a new one because i have noticed a few not line up right.

remember you get what you pay for, have never heard anything bad about cervini or steeda. I think it will be a toss up between those two when I replace this hood, most likely whoever cost less on shipping. one from fl one from nj, I am right in the middle in nc.

BadMoFo said:
remember you get what you pay for, have never heard anything bad about cervini or steeda. I think it will be a toss up between those two when I replace this hood, most likely whoever cost less on shipping. one from fl one from nj, I am right in the middle in nc.
Yup, I have heard good things about both companies. I personally saw a Cervini's hood on a Mustang before and it lined up just fine. :nice:

SVT Chic said:
the bigger the better!!!!

~Cheryl

:eek: :banana:

Does anybody ever get thier paint job blended? Everyone is talking about just getting the hood painted. What if the hood is just a shade off from the rest of the car? When i had my hood put on i had the whole front end painted. Some of the doors all the way forward. Any good paint shop that i have gone to wont do it any other way. If you want a perfect match that is. Downside is it costs a little more $$.

-Mike

Saleen201 said:
:eek: :banana:

Does anybody ever get thier paint job blended? Everyone is talking about just getting the hood painted. What if the hood is just a shade off from the rest of the car? When i had my hood put on i had the whole front end painted. Some of the doors all the way forward. Any good paint shop that i have gone to wont do it any other way. If you want a perfect match that is. Downside is it costs a little more $$.

-Mike

My hood is being blended into both fenders. Total cost for paint job and labor is $352, not too bad to me :nice: