New intake?

306 stock bottom end with x cam, pro comp 190 heads, speed pro hyper pistons, 75mm tb, 1.6 rockers, 24lb injectors and I'm running a cobra intake. I was just thinking today could i benefit from buying a better intake. Lemme know ur thoughts on possible intakes for this setup. Thxs...

• Sponsors (?)

The popular choice would be a Holley Systemax II, a Trick Flow Track Heat, or an Edelbrock Performer RPM II are all are great upgrades over your Cobra intake and all are within a couple of horsepower of one and other. Count on losing a little bit of torque in the very lower regions, but picking up a big chunk of horepower and torque above 4,000RPM to redline. With your mods, I wouldn't think a 20hp increase to be unrealistic.

Pretty much just pick the one you think looks best and fits your budget would be my advice. :shrug:

I personally just picked up a nice Trick Flow Track heat for my high compression, street driven 331 and think it'll be about perfect for my airflow needs.

Thanks for the advice I wasnt real sure how good the cobra is this is my first efi and i got it for free so i threw it on but my buddy has a carbed 347 that im trying my best to put down numbers close to his without stroking for some reason i have something against 347s ill probably end up going to a 331 to beat him tho, havent had her to the track yet to see how close i am but it ran mid 13s with a b cam no rr's and stock e7 heads with a carb

I swapped a GT 40 intake for a TFS. I don't have dyno no's or 1/4 mile time slips to know the differance, but by the SOTP feel, I certainly felt a performance increase with the TFS over the GT 40 which is very similar to the Cobra intake in design.

The GT40 lower is a very good piece, the upper is what makes the difference it seems.

The tubular and Cobra uppers are the way to go for the best possible GT40 combo.
So that leads me to ask if you have the 'real' Cobra upper, or an Exploder upper?
Just curious.

On a side note, my son put a Cartech upper on his GT40 lower and we love it.
The uppers are the compromise portion of the GT40 intake afterall.

I second gearbanger's thoughts. I personally run the Holley, have for many years (it replaced a "real" cobra intake at the time), and like it a lot, but any of the three will work great. I trust you also have a larger MA sensor to complement your other mods you listed.

the real cobra
Yeah, you're maxed out on the GT40 combo then.

I like the Holley intake the best out of those listed, and would get one if I had higher aspirations for my car.

I would love to see a head to head dyno between the Holley (or any of the other similar intakes) and an aluminum GT40 box like the Cartech.
That thing revs so fast, words can't describe. Makes the Exploder upper seem like it revs in slow motion.

no i dont have a larger ma i asked that question in another thread i cant run a calibrated maf with my cobra computer it wont run right i have to use a stock maf for 19# i didnt know if i can get a bigger one that will work for a cobra or what i can do.

Yeah, you're maxed out on the GT40 combo then.

I like the Holley intake the best out of those listed, and would get one if I had higher aspirations for my car.

I would love to see a head to head dyno between the Holley (or any of the other similar intakes) and an aluminum GT40 box like the Cartech.
That thing revs so fast, words can't describe. Makes the Exploder upper seem like it revs in slow motion.
maxed out? can you provide flow numbers of all three intakes to back that statement??

The GT40 lower is a very good piece, the upper is what makes the difference it seems.

The tubular and Cobra uppers are the way to go for the best possible GT40 combo.
So that leads me to ask if you have the 'real' Cobra :upper, or an Exploder upper?
Just curious.

On a side note, my son put a Cartech upper on his GT40 lower and we love it.
The uppers are the compromise portion of the GT40 intake afterall.

Can't say I agree with any of this. There have been a jizzillion flow tests and dyno runs over the years that prove that there is very little performance difference between the 3 different styles of GT40-style upper intakes. Besides, if the upper was really the defining piece, guys like Tom Moss wouldn't find so much performance by porting the lowers.

It's a moot point though, because even ported, the lowers barely hang with the aftermarket intakes.

I don't doubt that you saw rpm gains from a box, not trying to dispute that. That's what boxes do. It's just a common misconception that the Explorer intake is somehow inferior to the other two.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm using a stock maf for 19lb injectors. I'm running 24lb in the car with a cobra ecu. I have to do it that way for now cause a calibrated maf wont work with that ecu unless I get the 93 cobras stock maf. Its starting to be a pain I need a bigger maf but don't know how to get one for a cobra and don't know if its actually running right with the gt maf or its just running ok. With the calibrated it was horrible SUPER slow throttle response, wouldn't stay running for more than 3 secs. Wish I woulda swapped in an a9l.

guy loves providing info with out backing it with FACTS... lol
AS far as the facts of the GT40 uppers he is right. Look at the dyno test that 50 or it was mustang and fast fords did the gains on the upper swap is negligible and the explorer made more power out of the 3.

Also i had ran a downs upper and a explorer upper and as far as a difference you can definitely feel it between the two.

ya cant go off dyno numbers.. each and every combo are different and make different power. what i am getting at with this debate is simple. how can you tell someone they maxed out a intake if there isn't any proof of that???.. hence that pro-comp head and that x cam this person we are talking about are running, don't even come close to out flowing any of those intakes.. so how is it maxed out???.. again like i said providing info with out the facts... that's 1 of my concerns here... how about this. and this is a FACT. i had my procomp 190s flowed on a super-flow bench they were un touched pro-comp 190cc heads....they barley flowed over 250 @ 700 lol. ebay said they flow over 280..and procomp said they flow over 290 LMAO!!!! so how can that head out flow a tubular gt40 intake when the top half of that intake (un touched) flow just under 290???

each and his own are different when it comes to dynos.. cause that guy did it.. doesn't mean this guy can do it...basing anything off someone else dyno numbers is foolish, i was just told by the same guy that provided this BS info that you cant go fast with a performer 289 intake.. lol last time i checked i ran into the 9s with that intake on 92 oct.

my advice to Jared Hess the person who started this thread.. system maxx or trickflow you're pisssing your money away running one of those intakes with that baby combo... but whatever (GT40) intake you chose to run with that baby cam and head you have, only comes down to witch intake you like best ''LOOK WISE'' they will work all the same. give or take some TQ. at different RPMs

So ur saying before i touch the intake get these heads some work and get a different cam? I didn't think the x cam was a baby cam for this setup. Checking my pvc putting this thing together i was just over the tolerances that i heard you were to have. Maybe I heard wrong or messed up checking my clearances. I can't remember exactly because I built this almost a year ago but I think I was told .1 and .08 or something like that?