New member wondering

64Lou

Mar 13, 2012
What's a '69 Mustang with a 428 Cobra Jet worth? I realize its all about condition, but I just talked to a couple in my neighborhood who have one and its been sitting in their garage for 20 years.

I have a 64 Corvette and realize anyone with a similar question on the Corvette Forum would get two numbers 50k apart, but am just looking for a range. I am assuming it is somewhere between a basket case to non-running fair condition. It definitely does not run. I am only interested if I can get a steal anyway.

If I were to go look at this thing, what do you look for? Thanks for taking it easy on me guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Lou,
If you can get the VIN (on drivers door, right side of dash and one or the other fender aprons) it would be a help as to value. At least the first few digits of the VIN. I believe in 69, 5th digit (letter) tells the engine. If it is a TRUE Boss 429 (by VIN) and complete, it is worth BIG $$$$ in almost any condition and if rust free the price goes up from there. If just a plain Jane with a transplanted 429, then it's all about condition. More info needed to give an accurate guess.
HTH,
Gene

Lou,
My apologies, I misread and thought you said 429. VIN is still important. Fifth digit should be "Q" for a regular 428 CJ and "R" for ram air. Gorgeous body, paint, etc, running well with matching VIN on the block would have a value of $50K or more. All the same with non matching # on block drops it to $40K-ish. Roachy looking but rust free body, not running, $20-ish if complete. Rusty, wrong, non running engine, but with right VIN still worth $15-ish. What part of the country are you in?
Thanks,
Gene