New project

QDRHRSE

Dec 31, 2002
Palmdale, CA
Howdy all!

I'm starting a new project. I bought a beautiful race only coupe that is easily ready to 10's (the chassis at least). It has full drag suspension, fuel system....everything. I want to make it a low 12 second motor car and a high 10 low 11 second car on nitrous. Currently I have an injected set up for it that includes a mild motor with an ecam, thumper heads,cobra intake, aeromotive fuel system, and an S trim with pulleys to make 15 or 18 lbs of boost. I want to ditch the injection and go carbed/N20. The biggest reason is money. I just bought a bigger house and BMW so I'm broke. Anyway, I figure I can sell the injection stuff and put together a quick consistent car cheap.

The car is race only, sheetmetal interior...gutted. 2800-2850 with me in it. I want to use the same motor combo only I want to throw on an intake,carb, plate unit on it. I know that I can get this combo to run the numbers that I want but I'm not sure what intake and carb to run. Victor Jr or Performer RPM? 650 or 750cfm- mechanical or vacuum secondaries? Back in the old days I would say "bigger is better" but now-a-days I'd rather match the combo. Also, back when I ran carbed cars they didn't have carbs like the Demons (I'm going to buy a Speed Demon by the way). The car has 4.10's and it has/is set up for 28x10.50 slicks. I figure it will make power t0 6500 rpm which is perfect for a Performer RPM and a little low for a small inch motor with a Victor Jr.

Does anybody have a combo like this that runs good? Thumper?? Tmoss?? I'm really going for the "less is more" kind of combination. Anybody? Ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

All my carb experience is with Chebbies and Mopars, so I can't be a lot of help on anything but the carb setup. I see good comments about the RPM air gap. I could sure port an intake for ya though :nice:

I have talked to a couple dyno guys and they all said that the Performer RPM is a lazy intake and they have never seen much hp over 5000 RPM with it. I think that the Performer RPM is a street intake for a very mild motor. Whats the problem with the Victor Jr. intake? They work really well at lower RPMs and just keep going at 6000+
If it was me I would buy the Victor Jr for your combo. I dont know of anyone who runs low 12s on a performer RPM intake, but I know plenty of people who are going that and a lot faster with the Jr.

Well yeah, your describing the difference between a street intake and a race intake. Nothing wrong with the Vibtor Jr, I ran it on my Lingenfelter 383 small block Comp Magnum 280 cammed 67 Camaro and it worked very well, but I had a 3,000 rpm B&M Super Hole Shot covnverted TH350 and 4:10 gears - the combo was well matched and it had great street manners. The gears and stall made up for the larger/shorter runners lack of low end torque compared to other smaller runner intakes. I ran a "smallish" 750 Holley 3310 vacuum secondary carb that I tuned with a 50cc front pump shot, fuel pump shot cam tuning set, spring tuning set for the vacuum secondaries and a selection of squirters. Ran very strong - 12.30 NA with 8.5:1 compression and 11.16 on 125 shot of nitrous. Never did put a blower on it cause it ran so good without it.