New Track Times

The only reason I was thinking of a stoker is b/c if I have the engine out to have the pistons done I might as well stroke it out too but I dont want to deal w/ the added cost of machine work and does not look like I can get around that. The stock crank is fine maybe I'll just do forged pistons for better compression (trickflows) and some forged rods for added meausre and leave the rest how it is. My pistions are notched but if they are enough for TF heads Im not sure. Thats not something I want to find out at the last min.

I asked for Ed to have the cam pull in conjunction w/ the TFSR and the AFR 185's. I wanted the H/C/I set up to work together as in the same way the Trick Flow top end kits do. Maybe the TFSR is not a good match for those heads Im not sure. I assume I would be better off w/ a short runner intake such as the Victor 5.8 b/c I have plenty of power/TQ down low but even w/ a long runner intake I was still making good power in the upper RPM's.

What it comes down to Is I cant leave it as is and be fully happy not w/ it being a 351. IMO I think if I just pull the trigger and get the 205cc TF heads w/ higher compression Trckflow pistons and long tubes I'll have a much more powerful combo.

It leaves the question of if I should still use the custom cam or go w/ something like a Trickflow stage 2 and should I still use the TFSR or go w/ a Victor 5.8 :shrug:

you're just going to have to figure out what it is that will make you happy. Then add up what thats going to cost.

the victor intake is a great intake but its not a direct bolt on. It may need port work and/or milling the lower to match and bolt on. I wanted to use that intake on my old 347 but went with the R instead because its a direct bolt on. Dont even think about using a tfs 2 cam. If youre unhappy now you will be even more unhappy with that. Its a 302 cam.

For now just put the gears in and see what happens.

• Sponsors (?)

you're just going to have to figure out what it is that will make you happy. Then add up what thats going to cost..

Thats what I have been doing w/ every different scenario as far as 408 short block, 393 stroker or just doing the pistons, heads, long tubes.

Im not thinking of a cam change b/c Im unhappy its just a matter of if Eds cam will still work w/ the trckflow 205 + Victor 5.8 intake. I can go through his e-mails but from what I remember him saying before he said it would be a good match w/ AFR 205's and the Victor 5.8

Think long and hard about if you really want a short runner intake that needs RPM to make power and get down the track. You already have made a decision that 4.10's are going in. I feel that's another mismatch waiting to bite you.

Stop now, put your goals together and get advice from a pro to build a matched combo using solid info about your set up. After all, the first time around you had a cam ground for heads that you didn't even know the specs for and you didn't hit any performance goal that you seem have set, or should I say expected...

You have stated that you didn't want a higher gear and the car has a road race suspension on it. I'm also guessing that you don't powershift the car at the track and you aren't really one to drive it like you stole it. If all that is true, it also just fine. But to run the number at the track you'll need more power to overcome those limitations than another more serious drag car/driver combo. Know what I mean? All these factors should come into play when you plan this next build so you don't wind up unhappy again...

Hope things wind up the way you want em... :nice:

Im not unhappy I just want the most potential possible out of my 351 and I dont have it right now.

I power shift the f'ing hell out of it at the track. So w/ the 4.10s Im better off keeping the Trickflow Intake I have now? Im not set on getting rid of it I just want to be sure its a good match for the rest of the combo. It has a cam that's already ground for the specs of the TFSR and if I get TF 205cc heads I dont see how it wouldn't be a good match so I guess that's kind of a dead end issue. I would like to get the lower ported regadless.

So w/ the 4.10s Im better off keeping the Trickflow Intake I have now?

I didn't say or imply that. I think 4.10's with a short runner intake is a mismatch on your car now and especially with a 205 intake runner head. More RPM will allow you to make more power under the curve with those big ports not a few more cubes. Did you now decide to make it twist through the traps?

Hope it works out.

I didn't say or imply that. I think 4.10's with a short runner intake is a mismatch on your car now and especially with a 205 intake runner head. More RPM will allow you to make more power under the curve with those big ports not a few more cubes. Did you now decide to make it twist through the traps?

Hope it works out.

What do you mean by make it twist through the traps? I have no issue switching to a Victor 5.8 if need be.

The Victor will move the power band up even further making things even more "racy". To take advantage of it you're going to need more RPM. More RPM means more gear if you want the combo to be near the end of the useable power band going through the traps and that's what I meant by that...

The Victor will move the power band up even further making things even more "racy". To take advantage of it you're going to need more RPM. More RPM means more gear if you want the combo to be near the end of the useable power band going through the traps and that's what I meant by that...

Ahh I see, I like where my power is now, it pulls hard through the mid range and it peaks out at 5,700.

Would keeping the TFSR and porting the lower + the TF 205cc + Long tubes + the 4.10's be a good combo to stick with?

What size tire are you running now? You may have posted it and I missed it, but I ask because just adding the 4.10 and going with a shorter tire for the strip might net you some more RPM in 4th and you can use more of the power you already make. Earlier in the thread a few people pointed out that you make useable power and torque beyond the peak. Making use of it will get you lower et's. Shifting just after the peak at 5700 wastes what you have on tap after that.

I'm not sure how much of a gain you'll see going with the 205's unless you cram a bunch more air in there. Whoever ground your cam can give you a much better idea.

If you can get ahold of a desktop dyno program it makes it much easier to see the effect of changes like your asking about. Way better than guessing...

I realize that what I said echo's much of what has been hashed out. I also see that you want to make more power but not really rev the car. That's where things get tricky.

Getting enough power in before you hit an arbitrary RPM allowing you to still make power but not twist it is all in the combo. The only thing I can think that will do that it is to, like you've said, stroke the snot out of it or put on a power adder. The big heads on their own won't do it because you have to get enough air in to them early enough for your RPM target. Big displacement engines move more air and can use big heads at low RPM but the cam's they use are different too... Again it all comes back to the combo and the goals.

What size tire are you running now? You may have posted it and I missed it, but I ask because just adding the 4.10 and going with a shorter tire for the strip might net you some more RPM in 4th and you can use more of the power you already make.

I currently run a 26" tire. A few other people (not necessarly from on here) have said to run a smaller tire but if I do that Im dumping in money on a new set of tires + drag rims so the easier and cheaper solution for me is to run a taller gear such as the 4.10's b/c its not like a 26" tire is that big to begin with. I could see if I was running a 28" tire.

I realize that what I said echo's much of what has been hashed out. I also see that you want to make more power but not really rev the car. That's where things get tricky. Again it all comes back to the combo and the goals.

Its not really a matter of not wanting to rev the car its just that if my current intake will get me what I want out of the car then there is no need to change it. If something is not going to be a clear beneficial advantage then I dont want to change it or spend money where I dont need to.

I do have a 5.0 engine builder program but I dont think it goes in depth as much as a desktop dyno. I'll look into getting a program, Im sure it would be a useful tool.

Ive had mixed results in this thread as far as the 185 heads. My whole entire point is that a H/C/I 351 should not be pulling 340 RWHP. I have a good intake, a good custom cam from a repuptal cam designer and opened up exhaust. If there is one thing that is holding my combo back a lot to keep my numbers lower what could it possibly be besides the heads? Anyone want to dare say that Ed screwed up on my cam? I highly doubt it. The previous owner (and I have the dyno sheet) said the car put down 340/290 w/ a Crower 15512 cam and a Cobra intake and the current heads. I put on a better intake a custom cam and pull 340/343 :shrug: I know there is a difference in dynos but that's a big difference.

What I want out of the car is to pull as close to 400 at the wheels as I can. I want to run 11's NA. I need other things besides power, I need to lower the weight and get better suspension which is all in the plans as well. I know w/ the proper set up it could prob run 11's now but I also want to get the full potential of power out my the engine w/ out having to give up decent driving AKA no radical combo's