no traction

this is a common question I'm sure but, what can you guys suggest to help get better traction? So far I have added 3.73 geaars with a spool. 275 50 R15 MT drag radials. granatelli weight jacker LCA's, Baseline Suspension UCA street launch kit, adj rear shocks adj front shocks with coilovers. on the street or at the track, I can not launch any higher than 2800 - 3000 rpm or i will spin. my car isnt making much power now but I have a big block that will be going in it next year. If i dont have traction now with the weak 302 the big block will be even worse. I have even tried to change the instant center location with some home made brackets and that didnt help much either. Thanks for any advice.

• Sponsors (?)

its a 5 speed. I will need to recheck pinion angle but I think I have it set at 2.5-3 degrees. Tire pressure is at 14 psi. It is mainly a track car that I drive on the street from time to time when the weather is good. getting caught in the rain with DR & a spool sucks.

John Force would probably use my engine to start his lol. power isnt the issue because I dont have that much. I dont have the quad shocks anymore. yes the fuel presure is at 65. I have the TWEECER RT so I changed my injector setting to make that fuel pressure work. I did that because at the track, I was logging injector duty cycles around 90% at WOT. Now its more like 65-70%. No wheel hop issues. when it spins, it spins smooth and in a straight line. the springs in the rear were stock. I say were because the guy I bought the car from had cut them with a torch. I just realized today while I was taking measurement and making adjustments that, he had cut one side an inch shorter than the other. This may be a big part of my problem and I will be headed to Pull A Part on tuesday to pick up a set hopefully.

What exactly are you going to do with springs from a junkyard?
You want to drag race and get traction use the eibach pro drag kit or moroso trick springs.
If you really want springs from the junkyard get 4cyl front springs, great drag spring, but handling will be a sloppy mess.

Don't be offended at this question, but do you know how to launch the car or get the tires warm?
MT drag radials are the stickiest available, and my car probably makes a decent mount of power more than yours and i'm on 18's, on a road race suspension, and after a few minute drive on a warm day, on good pavement, my BFG drag radials stick like glue.

Don't be offended at this question, but do you know how to launch the car or get the tires warm?
MT drag radials are the stickiest available, and my car probably makes a decent mount of power more than yours and i'm on 18's, on a road race suspension, and after a few minute drive on a warm day, on good pavement, my BFG drag radials stick like glue.

I agree, if you just drop the clutch the tires will spin, with any drag radial theres a fine line between them sticking and spinning, you have rev the motor and let the clutch out slowly until you feel the car start to creep then push the clutch in a little bit and when you release the clutch you cant just pop it out, you have to kind of ride it a little bit. there is alot of shock to the tires when you just dump the clutch

I have granatelli drag coilovers in the front with 200 lb springs and KONI adj front shocks. I agree that my technique of launching my car needs work. it was mentioned to use 4 cyl front springs. that they are good for drag but sloppy on the street. This may seem like a dumb question but, did you mean to use the 4 cyl front springs in the rear? On the street when I do a launch I try to rev the engine to 3000 rpm, hold it there for a second and then let the clutch out like you would at a normal trafic light. what I noticed my self doing wrong I think is, when I start to let the clutch out, I start adding more throttle too. as it was said, I think I need to ride the clutch out just a tad more before I realy get on the throttle. thanks for the advice guys. constructive criticism is a good thing.

4cyl spring from the front, in the front.
Coil overs suck, IMO.
They are good on cars that have unlimited traction and massive power that will go wheels up, with or without drag springs.

Not sure how your car transfer weight now, but when i used 4cyl springs in the front, they could give an unsuspecting passenger whiplash.
Too bad i was accustomed to a handling suspension, something that my mind just couldn't let go of, so i had to pull them out, it just felt dangerous to me around bends.
Some people deal with it better than i did.

Back to the coil overs, puny little springs can't do the same job as a full size spring over and over.

thanks for clearing that up. I can deal with poor handling. I already have a spool & no power steering so that makes things pretty ruff at times. As for the coilovers. I have been told that the 200 lb springs the kit came with are actually too stiff. I guess different thing work better for some than others but thanks for all the info.

thanks for clearing that up. I can deal with poor handling. I already have a spool & no power steering so that makes things pretty ruff at times. As for the coilovers. I have been told that the 200 lb springs the kit came with are actually too stiff. I guess different thing work better for some than others but thanks for all the info.

those springs are definitly too stiff, switch to 175's or 150's