No wheel key...

uNdErCoVeR

Sep 23, 2007
sacramento
Wanted to change my wheels from my 98 and put them on my 95. 98 wheels come off but the 95 needs a wheels key and i do not have it. ITlooks like a clover and it goes on the inside of the nut. which has round edge, so it looks like a ring. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

When I broke my wheel lock key I did two things...On some I had to use an air chisel with a flat bit, the others, I pounded a slightly larger than the wheel lock socket on it. With the chisel, angle it so the pressure is the same way if you are loosening the nut. Thats how I got mine off.

You can still beat a socket onto that type of wheel lock. I did it on my mom's old Grand Cherokee with that type of lock. It's a PITA, but it does work. You may need a vise to get the lock out of the socket to get the other ones.

When I lost mine, I took a digital pic of it and sent it to McGuard. They over-nighted a new key to me. It cost around $30. Also, Sears has a damaged nut removal kits that work great for that. Item # 00952062000 $49 and Item #00952166000 for $29. I just can't see possibly damaging your wheels trying to chisel them off when there are other less destructive ways.. Good luck.

i had a set of locking lugs off of a 2003 gt and when i stripped the key, i went to the ford dealership, and they had like a master set of keys that he just kept trying until he found the one that fit. i bought if for like $20 IIRC

I used a 12-point socket that just barely fit over the wheel lock then used a piece of ~0.015" steel as a shim and hammered on the socket with the shim between the socket and wheel lock... worked like a charm...

When I lost mine, I took a digital pic of it and sent it to McGuard. They over-nighted a new key to me. It cost around $30. Also, Sears has a damaged nut removal kits that work great for that. Item # 00952062000 $49 and Item #00952166000 for $29. I just can't see possibly damaging your wheels trying to chisel them off when there are other less destructive ways.. Good luck.

Good info. Storing in the vault for future use.

Check with Ford too.