Not just another will this work ?

68converted

Nov 19, 2003
Colorado
I am going to be upgrading my engine before I drop it in. I am going to use the Xtreme Energy 270 HR. I have a stock 5.0 now. When I put the cam in I will also be adding 1.7 RR's and rods, Hedman Shorties, 24# injectors, 65MM TB and 70MM MAS, MSD 6A and matching coil, and a Cold air intake. That is stage one, I think it will run fine until I add the parts from stage two in early spring? Yes?

Stage two will add AFR 165's, new lifters, and a ported to match AFR's-Cobra intake, MSD bullit dist.

The car will have 3.55 posi, aluminum driveshaft, and heavy duty 2500 stall converter at Stage one.

Does anyone see any problems? I new to the 5.0 EFI stuff and from what I have read this seems like a solid build up from what you have all talked about.

• Sponsors (?)

The only problem that I might see is the 1.7's with the xe270hr. I am getting the same cam and want to use the 1.7's too. I already talked to someone from comp, and they said I may run into problems even with the stock valve sizes and pistons. I am going to check it when I install it, and if it has problems then I will just use the stock rockers until I can get other ones.

Stage 1 of your plan seems to have the stock heads I am assuming. In stage 2, you are going to have afr's with bigger valves which presents more of a problem. If the tech guys are worried about me running into trouble with the stock valves and pistons, you will almost definitely have to fly cut the pistons for clearance. Other then that, the combo looks like it will work well.

I agree with Rick in the fact that you should at least look at something bigger like a 75mm pro m or something like that. Will you be getting a new timing chain with that too? You should also probably get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator as well as a higher flowing fuel pump(190, 255). Other then that, that combo is good.

Chris

Thanks guys, I have a new timing set on the car now. It was put on about 1K before the engine was removed. As far as the 1.7 rockers, the cam requires it, and we must have been talking to different techs, the one I spoke to said that the heads and cam will work fine with the stock pistons. I guess I will talk to them some more. My original cam choice was the 264, but the tech said that the AFR 165's would do better with the 270???? Just finished the engine bay, so I will drop the engine in next weekend, Woo Hoo!