Nov. issue of Motor Trend: Auto GT goes 13.6 @ 99

• Sponsors (?)

I see it as a cultural issue. The Mustang is the ultimate expression of freedom & American independence. :flag:

Rice burners & other FOUR door wannabes are third world vehicles that have no intrinsic cultural valve for the good old USA.

Choose your allegiance.

fastmustangII said:
Um.. I know of a few production mustangs that might be a bit better, or equal too the 05. :nice:
Well to be honest I was talking about overall.

And that includes performance,price,fit and finish and styling all rolled into one.
The current Cobra and Machs are fast and pretty but the pricing for them are fairly high, they are mounted to an aged chassis and they aren't nearly as accessable as this new GT.
The older classic Stangs like the Boss 302 etc...where beautiful state of the art wonders at the time but they were expensive.

Up until now if you wanted a Mustang with over 300 horsepower and capable of galloping down the quarter mile in stock trim in the mid 13s you had to buy a limited production model. Which meant when they were gone...they were gone. Now it's going to be no matter what if you want one just walk down to your Ford dealer order up your car and have it delivered and that to me makes the 05 the best all around Mustang.
Can't wait for the limited special editions now though.
Gimmie a Boss please Ford.

Omegalock said:
The current Cobra and Machs are fast and pretty but the pricing for them are fairly high, they are mounted to an aged chassis and they aren't nearly as accessable as this new GT.
I disagree about accessibility -- Cobras are a dime a dozen for 03/04. I picked one up for under $24k with 3124 miles on the odo :). The 05 GT is better in pretty much every way except for the motor and tranny. I anxiously await the day when Ford releases an S197-based Cobra... yum :).

Dave

PONY XPRESS said:
I see it as a cultural issue. The Mustang is the ultimate expression of freedom & American independence. :flag:

Rice burners & other FOUR door wannabes are third world vehicles that have no intrinsic cultural valve for the good old USA.

Choose your allegiance.

I would hardly call Japan 3rd world. and don't forget that many of those rice burners are built here and pay the wages of thousands of american workers. NOT THAT I WANT A RICER, unless it carries a Mazda nameplate. :flag:

Crap guys, I don't know what car I want now.. the 250hp 2.3T Mazda6 ( I have to drive in snow ) Or this 05' Stang I was about to write off... I can't Write off a car that performes that well.

And I am a little pissed about how well this stang performs( if It's really true) because HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO KEEP UP WITH THE NEW ONES BEFORE MY WIFE LETS ME BUY AND 05'?????!!!?!?!?! :bang:

Where is the LT1 now? Power obviously doesn't mean everything to the buyer. The mustang started the pony car era and is the only pony car left, GM's anwser to performance is to throw a 350 in it and stick a package number on it (WS6). Dodge's anwser is to build a car nobody can afford except rich old men who don't even use the power and as far as the imports go they have their own niche. I don't consider a civic a sports car let alone a muscle car. The GTO looks like a Grand Prix and an Impala had offspring, so the only true affordable pony car left is the mustang and for all those that are comparing the GT to an EVO or any other top of the line sports cars are forgetting that the GT is not the top of fords line, the SVT model as well as a possible Shelby are in the making and will no doubt be competing with the corvette and all the other top of the line contenders. The Ford GT, Cobra and possible GR-1 are also fords and are considered "supercars". Where is GM's supercar, Dodge does have the viper, subaru has nothing close to the GT or the cobra, so the only place where competion will be found is Italy or Germany. Ford is on top of the performance market and are there to stay, I didn't even mention the lightning which will be the sickest truck on the face of the earth. I am a Ford enthusiast and like the direction that they are going in with the retro look for the mustang, cobra, shelby, GT, etc. It is a shame that GM didn't get the memo that retro was what was selling, i.e. volkswagon beetle, mini, pt crusier, etc. They did do their new truck right but grossly over priced it, if I am going to shell out that kind of cash I will be getting a ZO6 if it had to be a GM. Why didn't they make the GTO look like the early GTO's? Why didn't they make the corvette look like the splitwindow vettes of the sixties? I love competition because it gives the consumer the best product and with what GM is doing with its styling is not competitive. I guess that is why they are called General Motors. I have owned a 99 mustang, 2000 grand prix, 2000 S-10, 91 mustang, 2000 mountaineer and a 97 explorer. The grand prix and S-10 were bought because I worked for GM for three years and can honestly say that the fords are better quality and I can only describe the GM cars as generic. I wish they would get away from that and be more competitive with their styling and how they get their performance instead of still using technology that was being used thirty plus years ago.

XtorT'r said:
I would hardly call Japan 3rd world. and don't forget that many of those rice burners are built here and pay the wages of thousands of american workers. NOT THAT I WANT A RICER, unless it carries a Mazda nameplate. :flag:

Crap guys, I don't know what car I want now.. the 250hp 2.3T Mazda6 ( I have to drive in snow ) Or this 05' Stang I was about to write off... I can't Write off a car that performes that well.

And I am a little pissed about how well this stang performs( if It's really true) because HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO KEEP UP WITH THE NEW ONES BEFORE MY WIFE LETS ME BUY AND 05'?????!!!?!?!?! :bang:

You sound like a Kerry supporter. Flip flop. Not a ricer but would buy a POS Mazda, get real. And don't give me any of that Ford partnership BS.

You missed my whole point of Americana. Do you think we have any real cultural similarities with Japan? This carries over into our automobiles. I'm sure I am not the only one to notice that a large majority of ricers are immigrants. Hmmm. Where are our cultural similarities? Third world to me.

Also start wearing the pants in your family & tell the wife your getting an 05' Mustang.

The Evo and Sti are without a doubt better cars than the '05 Mustang but they do cost more. Bringing up sells numbers and looks are both ricer traits. The Evo is faster in 1/4, it slaloms faster, pulls more 'g's, brakes better, goes in bad wheather better! The 05 mustang does nothing exceptionally but it does everything ok. In '04 if you wanted to keep up with a sti or evo you needed to buy a mach 1 which was the same price. The Mach didn't handle as well, brake as well, and was slightly slower in the 1/4.

AWD turbo cars may be the future. The people in Japan have better performance cars than we do, I bet the evo and sti are like the Mustang and Camaro to us. They probably cost less over there too.

I don't know why are people saying that the ricer evo is a low 13's car. They are usually running high 13's at my local track. People just like brag that they are stock if they dont have major mods.

Who cares about how good is a car in the roudcourse unless you go to this events frequently. Most of the racing happens in the street not at the roadcourses. When you race on the streets/highway nobody cares if your car excels at turning & braking and the car spanking you is only very good but not excellent at turning & braking.

mattkimsey said:
The Evo and Sti are without a doubt better cars than the '05 Mustang but they do cost more. Bringing up sells numbers and looks are both ricer traits. The Evo is faster in 1/4, it slaloms faster, pulls more 'g's, brakes better, goes in bad wheather better! The 05 mustang does nothing exceptionally but it does everything ok. In '04 if you wanted to keep up with a sti or evo you needed to buy a mach 1 which was the same price. The Mach didn't handle as well, brake as well, and was slightly slower in the 1/4.

AWD turbo cars may be the future. The people in Japan have better performance cars than we do, I bet the evo and sti are like the Mustang and Camaro to us. They probably cost less over there too.

Finally, someone who gets what I was trying to say. The Evo and STi are the most complete race cars you can buy stock for $30K. Everything from the racing suspension and Momo steering wheel, to the awesome Brembo brakes, Recaro racing seats and sticky tires. By the way...an STi will blow past a Mach 1 in the quarter as it runs high 12s (around 12.9) with a good driver who knows how to launch an AWD car, you would need a Cobra to stand a chance.

we arent talking about race cars...we are talking about street cars.

I also like you say a 12.9 with a good driver...a pro driver is closer to the truth. The STI vs Mach ends up being a drivers race most of the time even though the sti should win.

A well driven cobra vs a well driven STI wouldnt even be a contest...

mball said:
Finally, someone who gets what I was trying to say. The Evo and STi are the most complete race cars you can buy stock for $30K. Everything from the racing suspension and Momo steering wheel, to the awesome Brembo brakes, Recaro racing seats and sticky tires. By the way...an STi will blow past a Mach 1 in the quarter as it runs high 12s (around 12.9) with a good driver who knows how to launch an AWD car, you would need a Cobra to stand a chance.

And once again you still don't get what everyone else is trying to tell you. This is a mustang board. If you don't like the 05 get the EVO and visit their boards. It's really very simple. Sure it has brembo brakes. and a momo steering wheel. For the difference in price beteen the 2 cars. I could put those on the 05.
And as far as the STI running high 12's. First listing on a google search. It appears they run low 13's. I've also posted a couple other links that are supposed to be stock.
http://www.i-club.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-72611.html
http://www.car-videos.com/performance/view.asp?id1=169&id2=0
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html

PONY XPRESS said:
You sound like a Kerry supporter. Flip flop. Not a ricer but would buy a POS Mazda, get real. And don't give me any of that Ford partnership BS.

You missed my whole point of Americana. Do you think we have any real cultural similarities with Japan? This carries over into our automobiles. I'm sure I am not the only one to notice that a large majority of ricers are immigrants. Hmmm. Where are our cultural similarities? Third world to me.

Also start wearing the pants in your family & tell the wife your getting an 05' Mustang.

Uhhh...I own a Mazda 6 and it's FAR from being a POS. Ever driven one? You might be surprised.

PONY XPRESS said:

Dude, you can kiss my arse, callin me a Kerry supporter...fkr..|..
What I said was no Flip flop or Double talk.
Just becasue you have no understanding of the world outside the US doesn't make every other country third world. Japan is a great country with good hard working people, Most Americans I know are good hard working peope. There is one of many similarities. And you should know our beloved piece of (Americana) Mustangs design team lead is a Japanese man in it. Japanese like to take many things from our culture and make it thier own.

And yes, I am gonna give you thta Ford partnership BS, you infant. When Mazda makes money FORD MAKES MONEY. When Mazda makes a kick arse car Ford gets to take it and improve apon it, just like Jaguar/Land rover/Lincoln/Mercury/Aston Martin/Volvo.

And give me a break Rice is like Rap, it wouldn't even be on the map if confused white kids didn't buy them because they have some kind of issue with thier heritage, or just wanna be cool.

Next you go get married and try that, seriously. I still want to get laid every now and again.

TomServo92 said:
Uhhh...I own a Mazda 6 and it's FAR from being a POS. Ever driven one? You might be surprised.

mazda makes some great cars, I wouldnt be suprised to see an awd turb mazda3 on the market here pretty quick, though I would rather they did it to the 6. They have came a long way since the mid 90's now if they could only put some power into the rx-8

mball said:

Whoa! :bs: -o-meter is going off the scale. "...a good driver who knows how to launch an AWD car"? That sounds suspiciously like the "good driver who really knows how to powershift their Mustang" putting their 04 stock GT into the 12s. Care to back that one up with a name and where I can find this guy?

As a side note, does "knows how to launch an AWD car" translate into revving it to the redline and dropping the clutch? Because I can tell you how many runs you can expect the STi's tranny to last doing that, and it's less than the number of your extremities.

PS What is your obsession with the Momo steering wheel? Does it shave two-tenths off the ET? Is it worth 30 hp, or is it only 20 hp since it doesn't come with a fender decal?

SVTdriver said:
And once again you still don't get what everyone else is trying to tell you. This is a mustang board. If you don't like the 05 get the EVO and visit their boards. It's really very simple. Sure it has brembo brakes. and a momo steering wheel. For the difference in price beteen the 2 cars. I could put those on the 05.
And as far as the STI running high 12's. First listing on a google search. It appears they run low 13's. I've also posted a couple other links that are supposed to be stock.
http://www.i-club.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-72611.html
http://www.car-videos.com/performance/view.asp?id1=169&id2=0
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html

13.0, 12.9 :shrug: Whats so hard to believe? As I said, a good driver can run high 12s, I see them do it at the track all the time.