O/T. We need your help !!!!

As some may know, Ford recently shelved the upcoming Generation 3 Lightning. This was not a SVT decision, but a Ford beancounter decision. Remember that the next Lightning was to use a version of the Ford GT engine, and was supposed to be quite a monster.

Even if you are not a fan of this truck, we still need your help. The Lightning Community has launched a grass roots letter, fax, e-mail campaign to get our truck back. As has been proven in the past, with the Mustang, this can work at Ford.

Enthusiasts as a whole are a small part of the auto buying community. If automakers see that they can just throw away popular halo vehicles like the Lightning, based on "bad math," with no repercussions, then what is their incentive to keep improving the breed. Or, with no outcry, to produce half baked "performance" products like the Monte Carlo and Impala SS. This is why we must all band together to help save an incredibly popular vehicle. Ford has to be made to understand that this is a bad business decision......... and that they will be held accountable.

Please take 5 minutes out of your day to help our cause.

I will thank everyone in advance.

Here are the ways to contact them:

SVT Phone # is 1-800-367-3788
SVT fax # is: 1-313-621-2500

John Coletti's email is: [email protected]
Tom Scarpello's email is : [email protected]

SVT snail mail:
Ford SVT
PO Box 490
Dearborn, MI 48121

• Sponsors (?)

Ummm...... I'm all for saving the Lightning. I like 'em. Never owned one tough.

But, you have to realize that Ford doesn't care how many people like the truck, they care how many people BUY the truck. They are in business to make money. It costs a hell of a lot of money to design and build a vehicle. They can't just throw money away.

I mean, despite what most people think, Ford won't turn a profit on the 2005 Mustang for a year and a half. Fact. The last I saw, months back, they were over 500 million in R&D as well as tooling for the 05 Stang. Not to mention, raw materials for actual production. There is a reason why they don't come out with a new design every 2 years. The first 2 years are in the red ink, the next 3 are in the blue ink.

The Lightning just doesn't have enough blue ink. But, I'll email away and sign the petitions. I would love to see the Lightning live on.

Ok, I sent an email to the two people listed above. Here it is below:

Dear Sirs,

As a fellow Ford loyalist, driver and SVT enthusiast, I implore you to reconsider your decisions to abandon the Ford SVT Lightning. This vehicle is a hallmark amongst Ford aficionados and would be considered a real travesty of justice to see the project shelved. I'm sure that, in large part, the decision to abandon the Lightning project is due to the vehicles generated ROI, but the PR that vehicles such as this and the Cobra generate surely outweigh the bottom line numbers. I'm talking about brand-building.

Additionally, it is now rumored that the entire SVT department may be on the chopping block? Would you care to comment about that?

Thanks for taking the time to review this communiqué.

Regards,
Derek W.

The untold story here is that SVT buyers also buy other Ford products. SVT products cause people who would never consider a Ford, to buy a Ford. Passion in SVT can turn a "Chevy guy" into a "Ford guy."

These are qualities that cannot be realized on paper alone. If you think I am "full of it," that is certainly your perogative............. however, my husband is living proof. Consumate Chevy guy until he met me............. and my '94 Lightning. Now he is the consumate Ford enthusiast, and badmouths most of what Chevy does.

A cause is never hopeless. If we sit on our a*ses and whine "oh woe is me," then we deserve whatever we get. We have the most powerful pursuasive arguement on our sides............ our wallets.

If Ford knows that they can ***** all over us, and we will just come back so they can do it again............ then nothing will change. However, if they know that it will impact them in the pocketbook......... now we have pursuasive power. My $150,000 in purchases in the next couple of years may be a pittance.......... but multiply that by 10,000 buyers. Now we have a number that can raise some eyebrows. Also, through word of mouth, I have sold more Ford product than you can imagine (I have a big mouth........ I know........ big surprise). However, negative word of mouth is much more powerful than positive. Do they really want to go there???

In other words, Ford needs to look at the big picture. They need to look further than the end of their noses. This has ramifications far beyond what they are thinking of. A pissed off public is a VERY powerful voice.

01LightningGal said:
In other words, Ford needs to look at the big picture. They need to look further than the end of their noses. This has ramifications far beyond what they are thinking of. A pissed off public is a VERY powerful voice.

I don't disagree... at all. But, a pissed off public may have a powerful voice... that doesn't mean they have to listen. How powerful is the voice going to be regarding the Lightning?

If I recall correctly, there was the voice of opposition heard load and clear by Chevy from the Camaro enthusiasts. The Camaro is gone. And, I'm sure Chevy isn't exactly suffering from it either. That's pretty interesting considering how many more units Chevy sold of the Camaro compared to Ford's Lightning. The numbers dwarf the Lightning.

Again, I'm just thinking realistically. I personally love the Lightning and came close to buying one twice. But trucks aren't my thing. My brother has one and I love it, it's gorgeous. I hope the SVT Lightning doesn't get canned, but I won't be surprised if it does.

It could also be what someone else had said; that it may be delayed a couple of years for the Hurricane. Now that would be sweeeet!

P.S. Did you see my post of the email I sent to Ford?

While many may be willing to accept the crap that the manufacturers throw out, in place of their beloved products............ many of us are NOT.

I have been in retail, and sales of one type or another for 24 years. It takes a long time to garner good will and a loyal customer.............. however, it is much easier to lose said customer. Also, while a happy customer may only tell 1 or 2 people about their good experience........... a pissed off customer may tell hundreds.

In other words, even the most thick headed retail establishment knows that it is alot cheaper to keep a customer than to try to draw one in.

Also, SVT customers buy alot more than just SVT products. Ford would be wise to remember that.