O2 Sensors

law

Aug 6, 2003
My oxygen sensors need to be replaced, and I plan to have it done with the ford dealership. I wanted to know if they will replace them with Bosch sensors or do they have their own factory sensors they use?

• Sponsors (?)

They should be replaced around every 50-70K. You can buy Bosch ones at napa and just have them put those in. Im sure the ones they use at the dearlership are the same ones that came w/ the car and prob cost more buying stright from them

As stated above, buy them elsewhere.

If you have a set of ramps or a jack, you can easily replace both of them yourself in only a few minutes. Make sure you pick up the "removal tool" from an auto parts store that should fit a standard socket wrench. Unplug the wire and the old ones unscrew after a few turns, then screw in the new one and reconnect the wire. Tighten them a good bit. That's it!

Maybe put some antisieze on the threads or whatever the auto store recommends to keep them from getting stuck real bad.

Thanks for the info. I tried to do the job myself, but I do not have all tools necessary. I got under there to check it out, but I could not torque them worth a crap. The o2 sensor on the right side (if you are sitting in the car) I do not even know how I could get to that one. I had already bought the sensors from autozone, so I was hoping that the dealership could just do the installation. If I had a jack that could get my stang high enough I could probably do it, but I am a beginner at all this stuff so I was lucky just to find them. Thanks again.

I got all that. I just had a hard time getting to them and torquing the one I could get to. I then sprayed some wd-40 on the one I could get to, but never went back under to see if I could torque it.

If it were me, I've got a local muffler shop that does just about anything (turns out the owner was into racing and making good track cars for a while, so his techs have proven to be very valuable). A local shop should do the job, if you provide parts, for under $20. Shouldn't take more than ten minutes, including the time it takes to pull the car onto a lift and put it back in the parking lot.

A 7/8 open end wrench will work fine. Get the Bosch 15716 sensors for $40-$45 a piece and they plug right in to the factory connectors. They are confused on our cars by stating they have 4 sensors at most parts stores. So save your self the hassle and go in their with this number and do it yourself.

Local muffler shop...hmmm...I will look around and give that a try. Another problem with the dealership doing it was that there were going to keep it for two days. WTF is that!!! Thanks for the heads up.