O2 Wiring

May 9, 2011
Ne
I burnt my harness on my exhaust and need help. I have 3 o2 wiring harnesses. Two are different from my original. My car is a 1988 mustang with a aid and has a mass air swap. Ok my original harness only has 5 pins that come off where it hooks into the main harness. The color codes on the wires are as follOwed 3 on top go tan with yellow strip, blue, and black with green strip. The bottom on sist of tan with pink strip and green with black strip.

Now my other harness I'm almost positive came out of a newer
Mass air flow aod car. There. Color code goes like this at the big connector. 3 wires on top four on bottom. 3 on top are tan with yellow, red , and black with white strip. Bottom 4 wires are two blue with yellow side by side, tan with blue stripe, and tan with red stripe.

My question is will the second harness work with my car correctly? I use a a9p computer

• Sponsors (?)

i also notice that where the o2 connector plugs into the engine harness only has 5 pins on it aswell.

i have a newer engine wiring harness that is off of a mass air car and it has all 8 pins where the o2 connects to the engine harness.

O2 Sensor harness interchange and modification

Originally Posted by 302EFI

Revised 16-Oct-2011 to add O2 sensor harness warnings
The wires for the 02's and low oil did not change throughout the years, they are all in the same place.
The main ones you need to worry about are (on the harness end (ECU) that plugs into the 02 plug) is:
\- 1. Lightblue / yellow
- 2. White / Purple
- 3. Purple / Yellow
The White/Purple & Purple/Yellow gets looped for a automatic ECU
The Purple/Yellow & Lightblue/Yellow for a manual ECU

See http://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...manual-auto-differences-year-differences.html for more O2 sensor wiring harness info

Basic premise to use with transmission swaps:
Only run a 5 speed trans O2 harness with an A9L. Do not run an Auto O2 sensor harness with an A9L. Doing so will damage the computer’s internal signal ground.
Only run an Auto trans O2 sensor harness with an A9P in a car that has an Auto trans. Using a 5 speed trans O2 sensor harness with an Auto trans will cause no crank problems.
See http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/749974-computer-issue.html#post7490537 for Joel5.0’s fix to the computer internal signal ground.

90 model year harness only works with 90 model cars without inspection/rework.
The 4 cylinder O2 harness uses 4 wire O2 sensors. It probably won’t work correctly without modifying it.

Since I can't see what you have, read the tech note and the link I posted. Make your decision based on that information. Wires/pins can be moved around to reposition them to work.