Occasional Usage '08 GT

Rush1204

Mar 2, 2009
Hi there. I'm the proud new owner of a 2008 Mustang GT in Candy Apple Red. Being new to the club, I had a few quick questions, and I'd be very appreciative of any and all feedback.

To begin with, my Mustang won't be a daily driver... most likely, I'll reserve it for once or twice a week, but occasionally longer stints in between drives. Is there anything I should do to optimize the performance/longevity of the car for such occasional usage?

Also, I was curious as to what some of your first mods to your Mustangs were. There are so many options, I don't even know where to begin. I think I'm more concerned with performance over aesthetics, but I do want to mess around with the looks eventually, too. Anyone out there tried making the hood scoop functional?

Lastly, I'd appreciate ANY tips or lessons about Mustang ownership that you've learned along the way.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!

• Sponsors (?)

I will go first everyone will tell you...
CAI AND TUNER 1st.
UDP
GEARS
Short throw Shifter
Exhaust for sound

As far as the hood scoop, a few guys have opened it up to allow air flow under the hood...but remember when you are pushing through the air you are also allowing rain, dust, bugs,snow, etc. inside your engine bay on top of a nice clean manifold cover or whatever you have below the hole in the hood...My idea it to install NOS purge valves to shoot out...

I will go first everyone will tell you...
CAI AND TUNER 1st.
UDP
Exhaust for sound

As far as the hood scoop, a few guys have opened it up to allow air flow under the hood...but remember when you are pushing through the air you are also allowing rain, dust, bugs,snow, etc. inside your engine bay on top of a nice clean manifold cover or whatever you have below the hole in the hood...My idea it to install NOS purge valves to shoot out...

you forgot small mammals. haha.

i'd go with gears, cai and tune from a reputable place like bamachips, or brenspeed etc, and a short throw shifter.

then do lower control arms and a sticky tire and have a bangin track car. hah.

To begin with, my Mustang won't be a daily driver... most likely, I'll reserve it for once or twice a week, but occasionally longer stints in between drives. Is there anything I should do to optimize the performance/longevity of the car for such occasional usage?

Only if you put it up for long term storage, anything over a few weeks and you might as well disconnect the battery. If I had a car that sat for longer than a few months I use fogging oil. Fogging oil just coats your engine to prevent corrosion and give some lubrication on startup for longer storage periods. Also, a fuel stabilizer is a good idea for longer storage times.
Dan

Since you're in the 'red', I'd say to start taking care of the paint right away with a good quality wax. If you store outside, a high quality car cover is a good idea. It's easier to keep red (and black) looking good than try to get it looking good after it's been damaged by birds or sun. Assuming 5-speed, a short throw shifter is a good addition early on, missing 3rd under torque sucks (it twists away from you). Depends on your plans down the road, but I think a CAI & tune is very worthwhile unless you plan to go forced-induction later. I had planned on a Kenne Bell twin-screw before I even bought my car, so I didn't drop any coin on engine upgrades that wouldn't be used when I went to the blower. Axle back exhaust is another popular change, but lots of options, so 'listen' around before you choose. I've read a lot of threads where someone buys one and swaps it for another (too loud, not loud enough, etc.). Lots of folks like to swap gears up to 4:10 or whatever, but I've been happy with the stock ratio (3.55 on my 06) - seems a good balance between low-end torque and driveability. But I'm not racing anywhere, just on the street.

Oh, unless Ford has fixed it (and I don't know they have) - turn OFF the Shaker before you turn off the key. It drains the battery if you sit for just a few days. I had that happen three times before I found a gazillion others with the same problem. I started shutting off the stereo while the engine is still running, I've not had a dead battery since.

I have had my 09 sitting in storage for the whole winter now, 5 months; SO FAR. I started it twice in that period. I let it run for half hour each time.

I did not disconnect battery, i changed oil before storage (royal purple,) waste of $80 bucks :rlaugh:. I also put fuel stabilizer in it. Both times it started right up and ran like a champ.

I left the clutch in nuetral position, so the spring or whatever doesnt go weak.

I guess people say the lifters and such can go weak, tires can get flat spotted...but as I see it, cars sit on the lots for very long times before they are sold... ill go fast enough to get the tires sphirical again :)

I guess I try not to worry about it to much,

you should be fine in your situation.