SN95 Of Course Another Question...

95Stangpa

Apr 4, 2017
Pa.
My power steering pump is whining on my 1995 3.8, and the fluid in it is filthy. Im just trying to get everything right before putting it on the road.
I have to take a closer look, it looks like the bolts are hidden behind the pulley thats pressed on??? ....but I did not look close at it yet.

I don't know what caused the fluid to get that dirty and dark looking. Does that mean I also need to change the Rack?
I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
My steering wheel has a little bit of play but not very much. My front end parts are all tight.
I see the lines going down to the rack are bent slightly which would seem like it's restricting flow.
So I don't know how hard it is to get all new lines not just the ones on the power steering pump.
Any advice is greatly appreciated as usual. I'm still learning this mustang it's my first one. Although I do keep sneaking it out for a drive. LOL

• Sponsors (?)

Can you get pics of the suspect ps lines?
If you don't need to change the lines maybe flush the ps system. Buy a couple quarts of ps fluid then remove the return line from the pump, extend it down to a catch pan and start the car, let the fluid go into the catch pan while continuing to add new fluid to the ps pump untill it looks clean, hook up the return line and top off the pump.

If you don't need to change the lines maybe flush the ps system. Buy a couple quarts of ps fluid then remove the return line from the pump, extend it down to a catch pan and start the car, let the fluid go into the catch pan while continuing to add new fluid to the ps pump untill it looks clean, hook up the return line and top off the pump.
Hmmmmmm,...does this look like a "tech" related question or a "talk" related question to you mod dude?

Do you want me to do this stuff for you?

Cause I can....

Reactions: 1 user

I can grab some photos this evening for sure. The lines are pretty kinked where they hook right up to the rack.

The power steering pump is whining very badly.
When I pull the return line off at the power steering pump should I cap that off on the pump housing and then run the car? Thank you

Did I do something wrong? I can't figure out what you meant by your post. I'm still trying to learn this forum.
no,...you didn't do anything wrong on purpose,..it's just that a question that requires tech advice will be most efficiently answered if it's posted in the 5.0 tech section. The simple guidelines to follow with regard to posting in the future is:

If you are asking for how to do something,...it's a tech question.
If your are asking for advice or an opinion, most of the time it's a talk topic.

While your question started out asking for an opinion, As soon as it requires a picture be posted,..tech advice will most certainly follow. ( i.e. rack/line removal, PS fluid change out and burping,...etc.)

Hmmmmmm,...does this look like a "tech" related question or a "talk" related question to you mod dude?

Do you want me to do this stuff for you?

Cause I can....
I don't know Mike, what do you think? Maybe I didn't feel it was technically a tech question. If you feel I can't do a job that I didn't ask for than you probably have the power to demote me, all I try to do is help, kinda point and shoot, sometimes I miss so what.
Lighten up, your scare'n the natives.

Look,...it is what it is,...No harm, No foul.
There are multiple segmented categories on this web forum to allow each category to be more streamlined, and more direct.

I guess I'm the only person here that has this peeve...... Despite the outline I detailed to help people decide where to post, (which nobody reads) tech still ends up here, and talk topics end up there.

It's so easy:

If the guy's showing something off, (build/progress thread) asking for advice or opinions, (what do you guys think) it belongs here.
In other words,...if the wrenchin is done, or isn't even in the topic,....it's talk.

If the thread even looks like somebody's gonna have to tell somebody else HOW to do something,...it's tech.

I mean what's the point of having them separated if the mod just allows them all to congeal into one giant blob?

I didn't mean to get snippy,..It's just that I personally have moved a half dozen threads in the last month that just pop up that are blatant tech threads where you are one of the first to answer, and it gets left right where it popped up.
I've done this already,...nobodies payin' nobody to do this...I get it. It's all volunteered time, and it is a free internet forum. A mod here is a glorified traffic cop,.and a bouncer. If you don't wanna do it, don't do it.
If you do,...then do it.

Oh man. I didn't mean to upset anyone. I was using some app thing. Once I went through my Web browser. I then noticed the SN95 tech section.
No harm done. Im pretty thick skinned.

104y8n.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Oh man. I didn't mean to upset anyone. I was using some app thing. Once I went through my Web browser. I then noticed the SN95 tech section.
No harm done. Im pretty thick skinned.
Pay no attention to mike unless he is telling how to fix/deal with a problem, he does know what he is doing and likely has done it over several times because he didn't like or fix whatever he was dealing with, he's kinda like a grumpy cop that doesen't really want to give you a ticket, careful, he will correct your spelling and grammer too, he sells beemers and drives a mini, that should explain his frustrations. And he has an orange lizard in his garage
We don't get mad around here, some times it gets interesting but not insulting or mean.

Last edited:
I could move this thread to tech, and maybe I shall. Meh....

@karthief is right, flush the system. It's easy peasy and will likely help quiet down your pump. Then there's Lucas Power Steering Additive if it doesn't.

Mike really wasn't stomping anyone Karthief, relax and have a scooby snack.:D

@karthief is right, flush the system. It's easy peasy and will likely help quiet down your pump. Then there's Lucas Power Steering Additive if it doesn't.

Oh I know, he's just stressed over the orange stain on his garage floor...
Now where did I put those snacks...

I got stuck working overtime because nobody wants to work anymore..ugh

I'll take some photos of the lines tomorrow. I noticed the one on the front of the rack was bent right where it threads onto it. I don't know if the chain stores sale those.

A flush would be nice if that helps. I never tried that Lucas additive before. I heard people have had luck with it.

Reactions: 1 users