Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

• Sponsors (?)

01LaserRedCobra said:
Well i will be bringing mine back in... the car is leaving a small puddle of transmission fluid every morning. I already got the TSB done... I am hoping it is just some loose bolts.

Probably the rear seal leaking a bit.

Mine does it. I'm gonna bring it in prob this week. WHile there, i'll mention the TSb and see if i can get an appoinment to bring it in and have it done.

Does anyone else have a problem with there 2nd gear between 1500-2000 rpm? I got the TSB fix but if I am in 2nd gear around 1500rpm and give it some gas, I hear a clashing vibration sound from the tranny. As soon as I hit around 2000rpm it goes away.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

My service advisor called me today, and after about 1 1/2 days, the transmission in my car has been fixed.

When I took the car in to have the transmission fixed, I also complained about the rear suspension sqeaking. They are still looking into that. They said they couldn't duplicate it. I told them that it happens after I drive the car on a dirt road. After I wash the car and spray water where the shocks are, it don't do it until I'm on a dirt road again. He said he would have someone drive it on a dirt road to try to get it to squeak so that they know where the noise is coming from.

I also complained that the drivers side seat belt wasn't retracting very well. I should have had them check the passenger side too but didn't. The service advisor said they had to order a new part for the seatbelt.

I also requested that they change the fuel filter and he confirmed that was done. My car has a little over 30,000 miles, and that needs to be done at that mileage according to the manual. I thought I might as well get that done while the car was there.

He said he will call me either later today or tomorrow. I can't wait to see if the transmission shifts better, and I hope they fix that sqeaking noise. :rolleyes:

I got the car back. It definately shifts better. There isn't the notchiness like there was before. I find the shifting is a little stiffer, but this is not a concern. I'd bet the slight stiffness will eventually go away after I put some miles on the rebuilt transmission. To me it shifts a little different and will take some time to get used to, but I am 100% satisfied with everything that has been done. I'll have to wait and see if the cold weather grinding is gone though.

The sqeaking noise turned out to be the emergency brake cable sqeaking though a bracket that holds it.

I got mine back yesterday and so far so good. I will have to wait until I put on my Pro 5.0 for the real test because after I put on the stocker before taking it in it shifted much nicer. I guess that rubber insulation really helps.

It says they replaced syncros and speed ears, updated forks and topped off fluid levels. Under parts it has 3R3Z 7124 AC which is what it shows on the TSB.

The Pro 5.0 is back on and its much better than before the fix but I still occasionally get a little roughness in the shift. I wouldnt call it a grind but a little crunch. And its much less often. Its not every time by any means. The 1-2 feels better than the 2-3 now. Maybe it needs to break in.

Its weird getting used to the short throw even though I only had the stocker on for a few days. With the stock shifter on it shifts like butter. But then the butter melts and it gets sloppy! Ill take a slight grind over the sloppy ten foot tall shifter any day.

2001 Geee T said:
The Pro 5.0 is back on and its much better than before the fix but I still occasionally get a little roughness in the shift. I wouldnt call it a grind but a little crunch. And its much less often. Its not every time by any means. The 1-2 feels better than the 2-3 now. Maybe it needs to break in.

Its weird getting used to the short throw even though I only had the stocker on for a few days. With the stock shifter on it shifts like butter. But then the butter melts and it gets sloppy! Ill take a slight grind over the sloppy ten foot tall shifter any day.

Thanks for the info Geee T. After reading your post above I was about to take off my tri-ax and put the stock back on. I would like mine to shift like "butter" again. But I think you are right when you say "Ill take a slight grind over the sloppy ten foot tall shifter any day". Thanks again

hexum311 said:
Thanks for the info Geee T. After reading your post above I was about to take off my tri-ax and put the stock back on. I would like mine to shift like "butter" again. But I think you are right when you say "Ill take a slight grind over the sloppy ten foot tall shifter any day". Thanks again

Im glad I could help you make the right decision. Did you get the fix done yet? If not I would take it in and enjoy the smoother shifts.

2001 Geee T said:
Im glad I could help you make the right decision. Did you get the fix done yet? If not I would take it in and enjoy the smoother shifts.

I did not get the fix done. I don't know that I need to. I have an 04 and the only problem I ever had before I put on the tri-ax was and occasional bumpy feel going from 2-3. Not to mention the occasional 2-5 shift :D . After the tri-ax was on for a couple of months, 1st and reverse started getting quite notchy, as well as the 2-3 notchy feeling being intesified. So it was either live with that or put the stock back on.

Went to my dealership last night about the TSB. She had no idea there was one :shrug: After explaining that there was ;) I took the girl 10mins to find it :mad: But there it was in the system :rolleyes: Would you look at that. How did you know about it. :D There's a big following on the boards about it. :p

She had to check to see if I brought the car in for the problem before, thankfully I did, but it wasn't and still isn't to the extent of what the TSB states(skip 1-2 in the mornings), so now she has to ask the Service manger :scratch: He come over and I have to explain it all over again, "Well this isn't going to fix the problem you are complaining about" WHA? I say. Yes it is you see Tremec....blah blah blah...rehash all the problems and what the fix is and why. I :owned: the service manger. He said get the parts on order and set-up a time.

So Tuesday the 7th my baby goes in for a much needed fix. Hopefully that will be the end to the tranny issues.

After putting about 400 miles on the car after the fix (the TSB states there is a 400 mile break in period), I have noticed that the shifting is even better and I have also noticed that there isn't anymore vibration and vibration noise from the shifter. I am completely satisfied with this fix. The shifting is very smooth and no notchiness at all now. I can't wait until winter when it's like 0 degrees out and it shifts just as well with no grinding.

i went in yesterday after reading most of the threads on this issue an i thank all of u. cause i found this out just in time cause my warrenty was about up in two days. they they said they will order the parts that same day an i should be hearing from them today to bring in the stang. i have been tryin to research this issue for awhile until i joined this site the other day. im kinda new to the stang world so i didn't know too many sites to look at. well thanks to all with the great info. thanks :flag:

I have a super-notchy 3650 in my 03 GT. I have never experienced any grinding but I have missed 3rd many times (once I missed it so badly I though my car was going to fall apart...it must have done some sort of damage)

Should I book an appt to get the TSB work done on my car? I know many people out there are in the same boat as I am.

How are you guys approaching getting the dealerships to take care of this??

I was in a dealership today for an unrelated matter and decided to prelimnarily "test the waters" to see how easy it would be to get this fix done. They kinda acted like i had no idea what i am talking about and one guy actually gave me a lecture on how transmissions work and how it's "normal". I neglected to tell him i have rebuilt several Mustang transmissions myself, have a BSME and didn't appreciate being talked to like i was some 16 year old who doesn't even know how to check the dipstick.

How are you guys going about this??