Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

Ask to speak with the service manager. You will get nowhere in my experience with the service advisors. Tell him about your shifting problem (you probably aready did) and that there is a TSB that fixes this. It's a problem with the 2001 to 2003 transmissions and this is what the TSB covers. Tell him to look up
TSB # 04-15-06 and that the kit # is 3R3Z-7124-AC. It sounds like they didn't even try to find out if there WAS one.

• Sponsors (?)

You guys would love to hear what has happened to me so far......I had some problems 2nd to 3rd shifting and it popped out a few times so I took it in and they found the TSB in here (I acted dumb even though I knew about the TSB) they said they found a TSB after about an hour of looking at it and said they ordered the parts but had to give me a loaner to drive for a few days. They replaced everything on the TSB and gave it back to me and it ran great, shifted better than it ever did (2001 GT with only 26,000 miles). Well it is now two weeks later and on my way to work doing about 70mph on the highway and went to pass someone gave it a little gas (did not shift to 4th, too lazy) and all of a sudden a small explosion sound and a lot of metal grinding and breaking and I had no power like it was in neutral. Pulled it out of 5th and pulled off, and sat for a minute then got up the nerve to go back on the highway since dealership was across the street from my work, first 4 gears fine but it would not go into 5th. It was extremely loud and I could tell something metal was moving around in there because it was so loud. Anyways they now have my car again and who knows what is going on! I do have a tri-ax shifter and they did not complain about that at all at the dealership and told me they would promptly fix any problem with 5th gear now.....so sounds like from the rest of you I am one of the lucky ones...... I will keep you posted.

I took my 04 Mach in becuase it popped outta 3rd once. Told them about the TSB and the next thing I know they ordered a brand new tranny for it. It took 2 weeks and dealership said it was an updated version with all the fixes done. I have put about 400 miles on it since and no problems so far. :spot:

The stang has been in the shop since monday for the tsb and still not ready. So it looks like I won't be getting it back until next week, but at least I have a loaner.

They did swap the tranny back in Jan, but it didn't have the updated parts. I really can't complain as the car is out if warranty but because of the business relationship my employer has with the dealer, they're doing it as if it was still under the warranty.

Hope to report good news the early part of next week. To all those who've had the tsb done and now the tranny is ok...congrats, but the real test will be next winter.

2002 GT 1 to 2 grind

Another instance of 32,000 mi. and Now the famous 1 to 2nd gear grind clunk. As soon as you shift hot or cold, erratic grind going into second. Sometimes popping out and of 2nd while shifting. Weak trans! :notnice: This needs to be delt with.

-Sage S.

Go see your Ford service manager and tell him what the problem is and mention that there is a TSB # 04-15-06 to fix this and that the kit # is 3R3Z-7124-AC. They will fix it free for you under warranty. TSB stands for Technical Service Bulletin. This covers 2001 to 2003 Mustang GT's with the Tremec 3650 transmission.

Ford1Chevy said:
Do you hear any noise in the rear end (limited slip) pulling into parking slot. Like cluthes binding at slow speeds>
Dealer siad this is normal operation, nature of the differential.

When I pull into a parking lot and I'm in 2nd and push in the clutch as I'm slowing down, there is a clank clank clank sound that I feel isn't normal but it doesn't do that at any other time, so it really don't bother me much. It does bother me, but I know that nothing would be done about it if I complained. It always happens at just a certain speed and then quits. I think there is too much "leeway" in either the transmission or the rear end.

If anyone hears of a TSB out on this, let us know!

Smooth

TSB is complete.........she's back in the garage now. Everything seems to be fine. no gear clash even when it was stone cold when i drove it this morning. if it stay like it is now it was a good fix.............if not she's going back. I've only put about 20 miles on it so far, as soon as i get the required 400-500 miles on it, the Pro 5.0 goes back in. Funny how 5.6 hrs turned into 4 freakin days.

RedPony said:
TSB is complete.........she's back in the garage now. Everything seems to be fine. no gear clash even when it was stone cold when i drove it this morning. if it stay like it is now it was a good fix.............if not she's going back. I've only put about 20 miles on it so far, as soon as i get the required 400-500 miles on it, the Pro 5.0 goes back in. Funny how 5.6 hrs turned into 4 freakin days.

I put my Pro 5.0 on right away. I hope it doesnt make a difference for the so called break in time. Im usually very mellow on my shifting as is. Im not one of those every time the light turns green lets slam the gears kind of guys.

Did you guys gear a lot of gear noise in Neutral when you got the fix done? When I push in the clutch pedal it goes away... I know you are supposed to have a bit of gear noise in Neutral but this is so loud you can hear it standing outside the car.

Not me anyway. Mine runs like a top now. I'd take your car back in. From your recent posts, it sounds like there is other big problems that need fixed. Hopefully they will just replace the whole transmission for you next time.

01LaserRedCobra said:
Did you guys gear a lot of gear noise in Neutral when you got the fix done? When I push in the clutch pedal it goes away... I know you are supposed to have a bit of gear noise in Neutral but this is so loud you can hear it standing outside the car.

it's not your gears anymore.. your TOB is going out. erk Should've gotten a new clutch put in while you were at it.

I did get a new clutch put in when they did it along with a new pilot and TOB. It is not a squeeling noise it is alot of gear clashing when in Neutral you can hear it come from the Tranny case.. as soon as you press in the clutch pedal it all goes away as the gears in the Tranny stop moving.