Oil Change Before Storage?

Les Paul

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2002
Revere, MA
I am taking my car off the road tomorrow. I will start it on a regular basis over the next few months and I might take it around the block to move the tires now and then. My question is that I have synth oil in there now that has about 2000 miles on it and about three months. Do I need to replace it before the long winter or will it be fine since I will be starting the car every couple of weeks?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I changed mine before I put it away. I'm going to get it done again when I take it out in the spring. You don't have to do it, but I figure it's better to have fresh oil in the car when it's going to sit for a few months.

You should NOT change the oil in your vehicle before you put it away, unless you enjoy wasting money. Aside from hydrocarbons, condensation and other pollutants, associated with driving, the next biggest killer of oil is time exposed to the atmosphere. Putting in clean oil before you store the car, just to have it sit for 4-5 months exposed to the air over the winter is only going to degrade the quality of the oil. A fresh change should be done after it’s brought out of storage, not before it’s put away. Letting last seasons oil sit, or running and starting it the odd time, isn’t going to hurt anything. I’d just leave it right where it is, until the following season. My views on running snake…uh, synthetic oil….well that’s a whole other matter all together.

Explain this to me......If your oil change was due next month and you were putting the car away for 4 months wouldn't it be better to change it?? If oil goes bad over time then wouldn't that oil be REALLY bad after 4 months? If you change the oil before you put the car away with new oil in 4 months the oil would only be 4 months old. If your oil is already 2 months old and you put it away for 4 months your oil is going to be 6 months old. Isn't that worse? I start my car at least 2 times a month to keep everything moving the right way. IMHO I want clean oil in it when I start it up, not oil that was in the car before I put it away.

DELOS02GT said:
Explain this to me......If your oil change was due next month and you were putting the car away for 4 months wouldn't it be better to change it?? If oil goes bad over time then wouldn't that oil be REALLY bad after 4 months? If you change the oil before you put the car away with new oil in 4 months the oil would only be 4 months old. If your oil is already 2 months old and you put it away for 4 months your oil is going to be 6 months old. Isn't that worse? I start my car at least 2 times a month to keep everything moving the right way. IMHO I want clean oil in it when I start it up, not oil that was in the car before I put it away.
I don't know about you, but when I store my car, aside from about 5-10 minutes of idle once every month or two, it doesn't run at all. So explain to me how that's significantly hurting your engine, when the oil sits in your pan 99% of the time? Yes, I suppose that if you wanted to be really anal about it, you could change the oil before and after you store it. Is it necessary….doubtful? When you consider some people will run 2 and 3 times the allotted length of time between oil changes and still rack on 200K on their odometer, I really don't think a couple of winter start-ups is anything to worry about. Save that extra $20-$50 for a fresh tank of high test the following spring. :nice:

if you don't start it that much then yeah I can see your point about leaving it alone. I was told to let the car run a little longer to make sure there isnt any moisture in the exhaust. I let the car run untill it's warm then I give it a few "who's you daddy" revs to make sure all the moisture is out. I'm pretty anal so I changed mine before I put it away :)

The past couple of seasons I've changed the oil right before I put it away and right before I take it out on the road in the spring. I just don't have the time to go get an oil change and tomorrow is going to be warm in these parts so I will be able to wash it and throw the cover on.

I don't know what happened to the time this year but I usually cover it by Nov. 1st.

Some of these posts don't make any sense......First, used oil has acids and contaminents in it. As it sits in the engine, these acids attack bearings. So, old oil left sitting is MUCH worse than new oil.

Second, running the car for 10 minutes builds up a tremendous amount of moisture. This moisture settles in the engine and exhaust pipes. If you cannot drive the can a minimum of 7-10 miles, do not start it.

Both posts above are fact, not internet trivia.....

AndyGT said:
Some of these posts don't make any sense......First, used oil has acids and contaminents in it. As it sits in the engine, these acids attack bearings. So, old oil left sitting is MUCH worse than new oil.
Really....You must have some engine, if it's able to hold it's oil pressure after not running for 5-months. How exactly is old contaminated oil eating away at bearing surfaces when it's sitting in the pan? A better question is how exactly is new oil helping sustain bearing life.....when it's sitting in the pan as well?

AndyGT said:
Second, running the car for 10 minutes builds up a tremendous amount of moisture. This moisture settles in the engine and exhaust pipes. If you cannot drive the can a minimum of 7-10 miles, do not start it.
10-minutes was just a number....just like your use of the 7-10 mile distance was. Operating temperature is what you're looking for, which is fully attainable with 10-minutes worth of running.

AndyGT said:
Both posts above are fact, not internet trivia.....
You're right, what you stated were facts.......they weren't very accurate, but were facts none the less. :rolleyes:

I'll stick to my so called "internet trivia", thanks!

Gearbanger 101 said:
Really....You must have some engine, if it's able to hold it's oil pressure after not running for 5-months. How exactly is old contaminated oil eating away at bearing surfaces when it's sitting in the pan? A better question is how exactly is new oil helping sustain bearing life.....when it's sitting in the pan as well?

10-minutes was just a number....just like your use of the 7-10 mile distance was. Operating temperature is what you're looking for, which is fully attainable with 10-minutes worth of running.

You're right, what you stated were facts.......they weren't very accurate, but were facts none the less. :rolleyes:

I'll stick to my so called "internet trivia", thanks!

I guess you never disassembled an engine before. There is oil on all the internal surfaces. The engine can sit for 5 months and it will still have oil on the bearings and other places. And, you will get oil pressure after the starter rotates the engine 2 to 3 times.

The 7-10 miles of driving is what all the major automotive manufacturers recommend.

I guess you convinced yourself that not changing the oil before storage and 10 minute idle warm ups are fine.....hey, it's your car.....do what you want.

My oil was changed about 1000m ago.(5-30syn). Mustang gets stored next week. Last year everytime I went to start it,battery was dead.(used a battery jumper to restart).Oil in the blower will be changed before storage. Right or wrong this is my storage plan.

Gearbanger 101 said:
You should NOT change the oil in your vehicle before you put it away, unless you enjoy wasting money. Aside from hydrocarbons, condensation and other pollutants, associated with driving, the next biggest killer of oil is time exposed to the atmosphere. Putting in clean oil before you store the car, just to have it sit for 4-5 months exposed to the air over the winter is only going to degrade the quality of the oil. A fresh change should be done after it’s brought out of storage, not before it’s put away. Letting last seasons oil sit, or running and starting it the odd time, isn’t going to hurt anything. I’d just leave it right where it is, until the following season. My views on running snake…uh, synthetic oil….well that’s a whole other matter all together.
This guy's right! Good info!

I'm not saying this is "THE" way but this is what I do. I take it for one last good drive, drain the old, hot oil and change filter. Then I add new syn. oil, run the car about 10 seconds to fill the filter and thats it. I store the car, never starting it during storage. I don't think the bottles that new oil comes in is vacuum sealed. The oil sits in my pan for 3 months instead of in the bottle in my garage. When spring comes I start my season with the oil I put in the fall before. Synthetic of course.

The 10 minute idle in the winter builds up a lot of condensation, especially in the exhaust.

If you want the best protection for the engine, buy a can of Marine Fogger oil. Pull off the air duct on the throttle body, and spray in the Fogger oil until the car stalls. All the internals are now coated for storage.

Fine then.....run it for 15-minutes....whatever. The key factor when running the engine in winter months, to bring it up to operating temperature! Whatever condensation that would have been manufactured as a result, should be well burned off by then.

I just put my Cobra to storage. Filled the tank. Disconnect the - battery post. Put the tires to 40 psi. The Mobil1 oil has 950 miles from the past summer driving. Shes wrapped up (breathable) and put away untill sometime in April when the salt is completely off the roads. I do not start the engine during that time. The car has always started right up, I let it idle for about five minutes and then go out for an easy drive of around 15-20 minutes, come home and change the oil.

Now as for the 05 GT which in also being stored for winter although it is in a spot that it may need to be moved depending, so for that reason only it may be started. Unless just a roll out of way and back.