OIL LEAK

Blackonblack50

Founding Member
Sep 22, 2001
Pepperell, MA
I have an oil leak that I can't find. It's kind of weird. It will leave about a coffee can size puddle after driving for awhile but if I let it warm up and then rev it a few times it will not leak. It's will only leak if driven. It seems like it's coming from the bell housing. Not the front side of the shield between the block and the bell housing. The funny thing is too that I just changed the oil and what is coming out is kind of red. It does not look like oil. It also seems like it's coming out between the bell housing and the trans. Could it be the bearing retainer? I did a clutch about a year ago and changed to a steel one? I didn't change the rear main seal because it wasn't leaking. :bang: I just noticed the leak over this past winter while working on the exhaust. I drove it all last summer and hard. My oil pressure and level where fine. It's just so hard to tell where it's coming from. I checked my valve covers, PCV valve, oil pan. All are bone dry. Back of the engine all around heads....dry. Could it be the rear main or could the trans be leaking. Wouldn't my clutch slip if it was either?

• Sponsors (?)

Blackonblack50 said:
I have an oil leak that I can't find. It's kind of weird. It will leave about a coffee can size puddle after driving for awhile but if I let it warm up and then rev it a few times it will not leak. It's will only leak if driven. It seems like it's coming from the bell housing. Not the front side of the shield between the block and the bell housing. The funny thing is too that I just changed the oil and what is coming out is kind of red. It does not look like oil. It also seems like it's coming out between the bell housing and the trans. Could it be the bearing retainer? I did a clutch about a year ago and changed to a steel one? I didn't change the rear main seal because it wasn't leaking. :bang: I just noticed the leak over this past winter while working on the exhaust. I drove it all last summer and hard. My oil pressure and level where fine. It's just so hard to tell where it's coming from. I checked my valve covers, PCV valve, oil pan. All are bone dry. Back of the engine all around heads....dry. Could it be the rear main or could the trans be leaking. Wouldn't my clutch slip if it was either?

I would say that your tranny is leaking. Tranny fluid is usually red. If its only leaking when under load my guess is that the gears are splashing the fluid around the making it come out through a worn input shaft oil seal.

I think so. It's hard to say though because one of my oil drain plugs was leaking a slight bit too. I have since fixed that when changing the oil a few weeks ago. I noticed it had been leaking all last summer. No bad though cuz it never left a puddle like it does now. I think I will pull the trans this weekend. I should be able to tell right away if it's that seal or not right? I'm just still uncertain if it's trans fluid or oil. I hope it's the trans cuz I have long tubes and to pull the starter and bell housing is going to be a pain.

Blackonblack50 said:
I think so. It's hard to say though because one of my oil drain plugs was leaking a slight bit too. I have since fixed that when changing the oil a few weeks ago. I noticed it had been leaking all last summer. No bad though cuz it never left a puddle like it does now. I think I will pull the trans this weekend. I should be able to tell right away if it's that seal or not right? I'm just still uncertain if it's trans fluid or oil. I hope it's the trans cuz I have long tubes and to pull the starter and bell housing is going to be a pain.

Do you have a automatic or 5 spd tranny? I hope you find the source of that leak.

OK so I'm pulling the trans this weekend to see where the leak is coming from. I have been stewing over it though. Here is what I was thinking It it the rear main seal wouldn't it leak just sitting and running becasue the crank is turning the whole time? Well it doesn't. I have the front up on ramps and let it run up to tempature then even wound it up a few times. No leak. Thoughts?