Oil Leak :(

ry94stang50

Jun 21, 2013
Brick, NJ
Ok so I just bought my stang a couple weeks ago haven't really drove it much as I've been ripping the interior apart to clean it. Well I got underneath and notice two leaks o e that looks like its coming from the oild pan gasket. Its really oily and nast around the oil drain bolt and around the gasket it looks like and also it look like the same thing is happening in the tranny. Same deal :poo: arounfd the drain bolt and pan gasket. There not horible my cars been sitting in the same spot for about a week aand a half and there is barely anything on the driveway. Anyway is this a major problem? Are the gaskets relitivly easy to change or am I screwed?

• Sponsors (?)

The engine oil pan gasket is fairly involved to change. You have to lift the engine up as high as you can, unbolt the pan and snake the gasket under the crank to get it into place. As for the tranny, I presume you're talking about an automatic transmission as the manuals don't have a pan to drop. The auto pan is much easier to drop since there's less in the way. You may have to drop the midpipe to get the tranny pan out.

It is more than likely just oil that has blow back onto the tranny from the engine. Look around the front and rear of your intake and around the valve covers real good. It is more common for oil to leak from the front and rear gaskets of the intake than from the oil pan gasket. Any oil that leaks from your valve covers or intake is going to run down to the pan where it will appear to be coming from the oil pan gasket. Then it will run down the pan to the drain plug. The drain plug is the lowest point on your oil pan so it will appear to be leaking as well. Front and rear intake gaskets are usually the first thing to go. And while they are not a snap to change, they really aren't that bad at all as long as you are careful in unplugging the harnesses and fuel lines. Let me know if you see any oil atop the rear of your engine block and just above the water pump.

Reactions: 1 user
Before replacing gaskets spend some time to clean every thing. Once you have done this you will have a better idea where to look for a leak if indeed there is one. Right now you are probably looking at dirt and grime that's been building up for 17 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I know that...but also its def nore then dirt and grime there's oil too judging by what I can see the gasket is def bad its a matter of what else lol ya know....I def should of checked all this before buying but I was too excited and didn't even care. For what I paid I can't really complain. I'm just worried I bit off more then I can chew. On the other hand I know some stuff about cars and I'm very good at what I make an effort to do and I'm a really fast/good learner and this car is going to teach me a lot. I learned a lot from my 2002 camaro z28 with the ls1 but there's still a lot to be learned and I'm looking forward to this experience with the mustang good or bad. I plan on keeping this car forever.

And also my buddy who just so happends to live a block away loves the 5.0 engine and has a few hot rods. He has a full mechanic setup in his varage with a bad ass lift and everything I would need and he's going to school to learn evrrything he can about engines and body work. So I'm sure hell have a blast helpin me out....I hope lol not to mention I'm pretty experienced with painting from my job and plan on custom painting this bad boy...lol interior too as I can't stand this tan interior and want to paint it black and somekind of charcoal. If possible and replacing the carpet with a black one....I'm def excited to get this going....I just hope the my wallet is as excited as I am haha

I also bought the car off someone who didn't speak english so I really had no idea about anything in the car.....only to find out its got everything I wanted a few days after buying it....full exhaust minus headers nice wheels and tires and full suspension from eibach and he only lowered it about an inch to inch and a half wich is perfect! Sorry guys I went crazy on the posting lol like I said I'm really excited and love reading this board I've learned a lot and you guys helped me out a lot... thanks guys

If it's not leaking that bad do as Richard said and clean everything up as best you can. Remove what you have to so you can get to as much of the engine as you can and get it clean. Maybe that will help you find the source of the leaks. Use your friend's lift and you should be able to get it really clean. You may even be able to change the oil pan gasket pretty easily if he has all the equipment you need. Just make sure to buy him a case of beer if appropriate. And a pizza might be enough for him to forgive the mess you'll make on his floor ;)

Whatever you do keep an eye on the dipstick.