Oil Pan Hole

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
I noticed that I have developed an oil leak on my recently rebuilt engine. I got under the car and noticed that the front sump was covered in oil. After wiping it off, I found that the front, driver's side corner of the oil pan has a small crack. The paint is chipped off around it and it looks like I probably hit a rock or some type of debris in the roadway. The crack/hole is very small, maybe only a mm in length.

What is the easiest repair? The cheapest, easiest is trying to JB welb it, or something similar. What I want to do is throw a spot weld on it and call it done. My fear is that doing this with the pan still on the car would cause the oil residue inside the pan to catch fire.

Has anyone done this before? What is the best route to go here? I really don't want to pull the pan.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Drain the pan, and try JB weld. You'll have to clean the hell out of it with brake cleaner and remove the paint in the cracked area. Let it dry, and then refill with oil and give that a shot.

Yep, done this one at least twice. Dropped the car off a jack and holed the front sump twice.

Had to remove the engine and weld the pan both times.

Second time, I was able to clean it and jb weld so it held for a couple weeks.

Use Oatley expoxy putty here is a link,

Epoxy Putty :: Oatey.com

You can find it in the plumbing section of Home DePot. I used this to seal a crack in my oil pan and it worked liked a charm. The best way to make the repair is to drain the oil, grind the paint of the oil pan, and clean up the area. Once the repair is in place you can sand it and then paint it. My repair has held up for two years like this. I tried making this repair before with JB weld and it didn't hold up.

Good luck.

Sounds like you have a High Volume pump in a stock oil pan which hits....

If you can get it clean enough an epoxy should hold welding is nearly impossible as it will just pull oil as you try to weld.

Hey Rick,

Your exactly right about the high volume pump in a stock pan. Are you saying this is the cause? I didn't pick up on any clearance issues when I built the motor...I clayed the pickup and checked it, but that was it. If the oil pump is causing the interference, then I would think it will be a re-occurring problem until a new pan is in place.

Just FYI, I drained the front sump, sanded this area down, shot it with brake cleaner, then rubbed it down with alcohol. I used "Quick Steel" because that it what I had in my toolbox. Its supposed to dry under water and be gasoline resistant....so we will see.

Rick, if the oil pump is the issue, then i will check into an aftermarket oil pan. I have just never heard of this before...but I haven't fooled around with as many engines as you either.

The HV pumps physically hit the pan in the corner, many guys miss it...;)

You can heat that area and tap the pan to gain clearance, reshape it a little or upgrade to a aftermarket pan.

Rick
Owner/Operator RNH Performance

JB weld works, i used it on my work van pan after i bottomed it out on a rock road that was soft.
Just make sure to clean off all the paint and drain the pan. Do NOT put any oil in it for at least 24 hours, i got impatient after a couple hours and put oil in it, had to do it all over again.
I also did it on my swap engine because i put a very deep pan on the car rubbed it open twice. Ending up pulling the k and changing the pan to stock.
But JB weld works for sure.