Oil separator review...

94GTLaserRC said:
I think when I talked to some local guys here, they said that the Steeda one IS made for syn oil...which "justifies" the $60 price tag.

RC

i picked up the steeda one off e-bay for 30$ instructions, bracket, line, fittings and filter......plus it is black, less noticeable...]

jason

• Sponsors (?)

RIO5.0 said:
Simply put, it removes the aerated oil the PCV valve is pushing to the upper..

Ever pull your upper intake and find oil all around your intake ports??? Your motors built some so I would thing you have it...most do....
I put on a intake spacer last Fall....they come like a Tan color...Mines Black now cause its soaked with oil getting pushed up...I knew it was doing it for years...Been bugging me since I noticed it...every time i pull the upper, oil in the ports... :damnit:
When I first removed the stock upper, I had no oil to speak of...alot of Black crud, no oil...Once I ported the lower....everytime I pulled the upper the ports were super clean...but oil was all around, and in em....I swapped on an Explorer, same deal, then the 93 Cobra, same deal again....I read up on these on Corner Carvers forum, lotta them use em....I just wanted to cure it more than anything...I gotta admit thought, my gas milage is up some since I added it..

Does adding the catch can in place of the breathers on the valve covers accomplish the same thing? Thats where I added mine.

I still don't see the deal with the oil fill tube line to the cai. Putting a breather cap on your fill tube still lets the pressure out so why is "not a good thing to do" its the same princible just without a hose so why is it bad? Might look into one of these things and put it on mine

Jinx, the line from the CAI to the oil filler is mainly there to let air back into the crankcase, not out (you dont want a vacuum inside the CC).

At WOT, it does expel extra air that the PCV cant handle, but that is a secondary function.

A breather on the oil filler would create the unmetered air situation again.

I have seen what unmetered air does and it don't do that with my breater cap on there. Unless its not enough to really matter. And with the little bit of air thats going through that tube i don't see what it really matters and how it can "hurt" anything not being there

rgs....Here you go....Left side on the separator is the IN, the line from the PCV valve directly to here....

oil_separator_1.jpg

The PCV Tee...Right line or OUT goes to the Tee...tit to set-up...:D

93_cobra_upper_008_r.jpg

rgs said:
so the line from the lower intake goes to the "IN" side of the seperator and then after the seperator you connect the line back up to the T ?
I ran a line from the PCV valve to the inlet of the separator. Then the outlet from the separator went to the intake's tee.

No...run a "new" line directly from the PCV itself to the IN of the separator .....look at my pic of the intake...the line thats missing on the Tee, is where the PCV valve line "use" to feed IN....Its now fed from the OUT side of the separator...

RIO5.0 said:
No...run a "new" line directly from the PCV itself to the IN of the separator .....look at my pic of the intake...the line thats missing on the Tee, is where the PCV valve line "use" to feed IN....Its now fed from the OUT side of the separator...
:nice:

I just put one on my Civic yesterday. I used the large one available at home depot, not the small one like Rio used. Mine did come with a warning about synthetic oil, but it appears that my filter is different from Rios. I currently have about a 50% synthetic mixture in it, so after my 400 mile drive today, I'll report back in. :SNSign:

Well, I'm not happy with my separator currently. I have more oil in the line leading to the separator than I do in the unit. I also have an oil smell coming from somewhere and I'm not sure where. At this time, I recommend sticking to the smaller separator like Rio used, don't mess with the big (Husky) one until I figure out where my air/oil leak is.

The line is attached the the PVC at the very bottom of the picture, goes up to the left side of the filter (in a custom bracket) and back around into the intake manifold.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=169660&cm_mmc=1hd.com2propbrands:cautious:husky:cautious:pip_page:cautious:417548

attachment.php

Attachments

• My catch can.JPG
    My catch can.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 176
RC, if you leave a little slack, maybe run it along the firewall ridge, it shouldn't, i bought a straight fitting for that side after the initial install of mine, I have the same one as andy, the steeda came with bracket etc...

jason