Okay, how tough is a midpipe install?

Susky

Oct 5, 2005
Mechanicsburg, PA
I want to put in a midpipe. I haven't decided which one yet, but that's not the topic here. I can pay somebody to do it, which is good for me, but of course it's cheaper (and probably faster) to do it myself.

So how easy or hard is the job? Should I expect any difficulties with things like getting to the header connection? I imagine that's the worst part - getting my big hands into small places. Is this something I should be able to do without too much effort, or should I save my sanity along with my knuckles?

• Sponsors (?)

If you have a connection to someone who can do it for you for a reasonable price, and have the extra money laying around, I would pay someone.

I installed mine with a friend, and while it's not a difficult job, it can be a PITA, mainly with the header bolts on the passenger side and disconnecting/connecting your O2 sensors. If you have big hands, the O2 sensors are not fun. You need some swivel joints and a good amount of extensions (about 12" to 18") for the header bolts.

I was going to pay someone I knew that worked at a dealership $40 to do it for me, but they were always too busy & I got impatient.

Not all that hard of a job. Hardest part is the pass. side. Getting up there can be a pita, I take that back, it will be a pita. Other than that it is pretty easy. If you plan on doing it yourself, defiantly have a buddy help you. It will make the job a lot easier.(possibley one with smaller hands than yours :D)

its not that bad at all, just make sure you soak the bolts in PB Blaster a couple hours before you start, then do it right before you go to loosen em. Oh and be glad you dont have an automatic, oh my god was it a bitch to get the O2 sensors unplugged on my buddies car.

Duke309 said:
Oh and be glad you dont have an automatic, oh my god was it a bitch to get the O2 sensors unplugged on my buddies car.

Yeah, I spent probably 30% of the time just trying plug those (insert favorite expletive) back in. It took me holding the female end from above with an extension, and a buddy of mine pushing the male end from underneath the car to get the passenger side connected.:fuss:

It's not too bad, just make sure you have all the tools you are going to need as well as ramps or jackstands and just take your time. It's good idea to spray all the bolts with lubricant a day or two before the install.

30 mins holy ***** it took me and my dad 2 hours + to swap my stock H for my dr gas o/r x. WD40 saved my life on the header bolts. they weren't trouble at all, just drench them, i mean totally completely soppin' wet with WD40 and have a 12" extension & ull be fine. i have oddly long fingers tho, so it helped.

For a first timer like me....it sucks! But, you need to know how to do it in order to do other things like transmission work, etc. Just remember this: Unplug your battery first!! Then make sure you have a 1/2" swivel, extensions, and PB Blaster. Jack the front of the car up as far as you can. Did I mention....Unplug the battery first?!!! If your scatter brained like me and leave your car in first gear, jack it up, and forget to unplug the battery!!! Let's just say, no matter what I'm doing now...before I put a jack under the car, the negative cable come's off the battery.

i useud a 3/8" drive with a swivle neck to get to header-to-midpipe bolts off, you feel the extension torque quite a bit before it turns tho.

Tis what I used to get the pass side bolts off also with the 12" extention. One of my first mods and did by myself in a total of about 2 hrs. Drove the stang on Rhino Ramps (with a backup jack and chocked the wheels for safety) and had all the confidence to get that bad boy out of there. PB blaster or the better can of WD 40, not the regular stuff is da bomb.

Its not hard at all. Its all about the space you have to work with.

I did mine in a couple of hours, just with ramps, 2 jackstands, and a floorjack.

ALL the header bolts are easy to get to. The passenger side looks scary, but with extensions and a swivel socket it is easy as pie. For the o2's, it might seem like a PITA. I just left the primary ones connected (closest to the manifold) and took the rear o2's out with the pipe. I had plently of room to get an o2 removal socket in there and take them out/reinstall.

Probaly the biggest pain about it is holding the new midpipe up by yourself and trying to get it bolted up to the manifolds. Aside from that, the manifold bolts may need some persuasion to come loose (breaker bar and lube).

I wouldnt pay $50+ dollars for someone to do it. Just my opinion though.