Opinion on a 86 Mustang

Lynx331

Jan 5, 2004
Chicago IL
Hey guys. Me and my dad are looking into a 86 mustang. Its got heads, cam, intake, injectors, t-5, 4.10's, locked rear end ( that would have 2 be change for it to be a street car ) and it runs 12.3 at the track. The only thing it needs im told is paint. Hes asking 3,000. What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

Look over the car thoroughly. Look under the carpet in the hatch area(assuming it's a GT), crawl under every inch of the car with a flashlight and look for anything out of the ordinary. Take your time, it'll pay off in the end.

If the car proves to be solid, it's a steal.

we havent seen the car yet, were going to go look at it maybe later on this week. One other thing i found out today is theres something wrong with 3rd gear, my uncle says its like 100 fix soo thats not 2 bad. Yea thats why im considering this car, i like the newer ones better 87-93 but no one really has these, i never see them, i only see the newer ones.

Lynx331 said:
we havent seen the car yet, were going to go look at it maybe later on this week. One other thing i found out today is theres something wrong with 3rd gear, my uncle says its like 100 fix soo thats not 2 bad. Yea thats why im considering this car, i like the newer ones better 87-93 but no one really has these, i never see them, i only see the newer ones.

I am rebuilind a tranny as we speak. A 3rd gear is only around 100 bucks as you say but plan on putting in a syncro kit and remember there a reason that gear is gone. Plan on around 400 bucks to get it all back to normal.

no, im not looking for a project car. I have a 67 mustang in the garage thats in the middle of a resto. But im so tired of driving my 6 banger around. So im going to sell that use the money from it to buy this car, and i'll still have quite a bit left over to get this one going and then either put the rest into a paintjob or put the rest into my 67