opinions of side exhaust

You mean pressure gauges right? Strain gauges measure physical deformation. I want to do a similar test using digital pressure sensors on my hood to find high and low pressure zones for ventilation louvers.

Yea it could be done either way. Deformation of the strain gauge can be correlated to a pressure. I've used strain gauges in wind tunnels to find the pressue at different locations on an airfoil/cylinder/etc.

• Sponsors (?)

I have 2.5" GT350-style side-exits with 24" Thrush glasspacks(perf tube, not louvered) and h-pipe I hacked together to get my car on the road a few years ago. Unless I am cruising at very light throttle, it resonates somewhat inside and the bass tones are rather tiring. However, it does sound decent at WOT. It's only an .mp3 file instead of a video, but it gives an idea of how it sounds first inside, then out. I'm not sure if I will keep the side-exits, but I will definitely install an x-pipe. I may try dumping both pipes on the passenger side to see if it lessens the volume inside. I have a pair of cutouts to install for when I need to damage my hearing.

Speaking of damaged hearing, I saw this car in person a few weeks ago and it is loud!
YouTube - 1968 TransAm Mustang Fire Up
YouTube - 1968 TransAm Mustang Killer Pass MUST SEE

Yes, that was the setup I used on my original engine, and it had a nice vintage tone to it...wish I had some video of it, but my engine blew up before I took any. :( The lack of any crossover pipe and old-style glasspacks have more of the vintage tone, and sound similar to the original '65 GT350s. If you want to hear that setup, check out Jay Leno's GT350 on Youtube.

For the sake of comparison to the other setups posted in this thread, here are a couple vids of my new side-exit 3" exhaust with an x-pipe and no mufflers. The Webers were running rich in this vid, hence the popping, but I've also heard an x-pipe is a big contributor to the crackle and pop as well...

YouTube - 1965 Mustang GT350 Clone - Weber 48 IDA Carbs

YouTube - 1965 Mustang GT350 Clone with Weber 48 IDAs