Oreillys gave me wrong O2 sensors...aaarrggghhh

spock2001us

Aug 23, 2005
I installed two new Bosch O2 sensors from Oreillys. As I was installing the second one, I noticed it looked different than the first. I looked at the box and the numbers matched, so I thought little of it. After installing, I then drove about 30 miles, in stop and go traffic....ummm...and I learned what really happens when an O2 goes out. My car ran the worst it ever has. Engine bucking and surging and backfiring. It did not stall, but it was a disaster. After driving 30 miles back to home, I swapped out and put the original O2's in and the car is running normal again. Contacted Oreillys and they are gong to swap me two "matching" O2's.

That's about all for today...LOL:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Went to pick up replacement O2's this morning at Oreilys. The replacement O2's looked like the wrong ones as well. Looking online, it turns out the replacement and the wrong one from yesterday are "downstream". the box is labeled correctly but wrong ones....aaarrrggghhh

that's common for parts shop computers. In many cases ,they have 94-98 Mustangs as all having the 4.6 mod engine. If you're asked in the future, you want the upstream ones.