Progress Thread Out With The New - In With The Old

Back at it, and following instructions

IMG_1121.JPG
IMG_1122.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Putting my crappy radiator in my rat nest engine compartment. This fan roars like a lion and pulls tons of air. Clutch is mega tight. When my IPA's run out, I rob her Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Reverting from 24lb to 19lb injectors. My son used my spare 19's from my 92 hatch in his Jeep Cherokee so I sniped a used set from eBay. I'm cleaning them now by powering with 9v batt and blowing cleaner through. I'm first injecting them with simple green and letting them soak for 15 mins or so. Then I'm blowing them out with brake cleaner. I got a kit with all new orings, spacers, screens and pintle caps. There's 8 orange orings and 8 black ones. Which color orings go down into the intake?

IMG_1129.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
I messed up and jammed one of the screens down into the injector. Luckily the other 19's that were donated to the Jeep were only a 6 count. That left me with two spares.

Btw, did you know the Jeep guys love the 19lb ford injectors as an upgrade to their stock injectors in the 4 liter straight 6? We put them in the 98 Cherokee and the thing ran fantastic. Injector swap only, nothing else.

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG
After soaking internals with simple green, they were rinsed through with brake cleaner and blasted through with 30psi air.

IMG_1133.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Last thing I want after all this work is a carbeque so I got some new orings for the lines to rail connections. Got everything all snapped down, powered up the pump and all good, no leaks.

IMG_1134.JPG
IMG_1137.JPG

Thanks everyone for the comments, likes and lurking. The State of Maryland allows 7 characters for vanity plates. I got a perfect idea for this car. BEERGUT Because that's what this gem is giving me.

I got the engine harness down in place as best I can. New IAT in, corrected hood cable routing and pulled cruise control cable and hoses back into engine bay. Remaining to connect on passengers side is TPS, EGR and IAC. One loose connection will be tied off. It's the connection for the charcoal canister which is missing from this car. I guess I'll be chasing related issues on that in the future.

I scored again at Crazy Rays. Got an inner fender skirt to replace the one that was hacked during the previous wire tuck. Got it for $15 from a 4 banger vert.

IMG_1138.JPG
IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1141.JPG
IMG_1142.JPG
IMG_1143.JPG
IMG_1144.JPG

Last edited:
I've got the engine completed. That's a 70mm MAF cal for 19lb from a '94 Marquis. It's the same one I ran on my hatch before the S trim went on.

Just gotta do the valve body for the trans. The info I got from Baumann on shift settings has me revisiting the valve body before buttoning up the trans. I'll be ready to cross fingers and turn key soon. Maybe even tonight. But probably tomorrow.

IMG_1146.JPG

Bend and beat the pan back to shape after all the abuse it's taken over time. The bottom was so caved in from people putting jacks under it, probably lost 1/2 qt capacity. I straightened the lip and mounting surface and hammered fat again.

IMG_1147.JPG

Very glad to have gone back into valve body. Baumann's shift kit which was previously in the trans comes with separator gaskets that have an extra little hole in them. The plate had already been drilled on the last install. But the new valve body gaskets that came with the rebuild kit did not have the corresponding holes. Very glad I caught this. The feature being corrected is called "cutback elimination". In stock form it drops pressure just prior to the shift and makes it soft and mushy. The mod eliminates cutback pressure causing the shift to be crisp and quicker. I've laid the old gaskets over the new ones, made one new hole and verified all the rest.

The other change I'm making is WOT up shift points. Previously with the radical cam the WOT 1-2 shift was 6100 or so. I'm aiming to drop it by 500 rpm to correspondence better with the milder stock HO cam that I've swapped in during this multi faceted project. This change is made by changing spacers on one of the valves.

IMG_1150.JPG
IMG_1151.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG