Over flow coolant tank level question

DanG

Founding Member
Oct 8, 2000
Maryland
Long story short, I got the car back from the dyno a few weeks ago, where the shop also finished off a few odds and ends for me, including initial start up of the car after 8 years, evac system install for the valve covers, and pour in coolant. ( I gave them the car w/o coolant in the event they needed to pull anything in the motor )
Anyways, the coolant over flow tank is empty, and has always been empty since I got the car back. I'm assuming that this is fine, as the purpose of the overflow tank is just that, over flow.. Is this correct?

• Sponsors (?)

When your engine cools down, vacuum is formed and pulls coolant from the overflow tank, if the tank is empty the engine sucks in air which causes air pockets to form in the heads causing hot spots. Keep coolant level at the cold level in overflow tank when engine is cold.

Reactions: 1 user
That tank is your insurance policy, make sure it's half full like mentioned. If the motor does need coolant is going to get it from the tank. I would never drive with an empty overflow tank, that's asking for trouble.

The reason why it's empty I'm sure they sure didn't burp the system correctly. They probably filled up the radiator and tank. After the stat opened a few times it needed coolant and sucked the tank dry.

Do a 60/40 mix, 60 water / 40 coolant, buy 2 bottles of Water Wetter, properly get the air out of the system and you should be golden.

Start the car with the radiator cap off, when the thermostat opens, fill radiator to the top, put the cap back on. Do it quickly before the stat closes and starts pushing the coolant out of the radiator then you'll have a mess.