Fox Overheating

Joe86gtconvertible

Apr 3, 2016
Hi all I have a 86 gt that I put a 88 5.0 with a supercharger in it. At idle temp is right in the center. On short runs the temp is fine. Once I get on it a little or just diving it little longer than 1/2 hour starts to get real hot. Thought it was rad n clutch fan n still might b but I installed another rad with an electric fan. I'm thinking now that the electric fan can't keep up with cooling of the motor. I also removed the thermostat to c if more flow would help. Any other thoughts??? Was thinking of getting heavy duty clutch n new fan blade.

• Sponsors (?)

Removing the thermostat is a bad idea. It can cause coolant to move too quickly through the radiator and not allow it to cool like its supposed to.

Reactions: 1 user
Few simple checks:

Make sure the radiator cap is in good condition.

The electric fan is it manually activated or temperature activated. When the car is running hot is the fan actually cutting on?

Check the shrouding around the fan to make sure it makes a seal (usually has some rubber insulation around it.)

Verify hot is hot with a turkey thermometer.

I would install your thermostat after making sure it opens at the right temperature

Then you can open your radiator cap (after the engine has complete cooled off), Have a helper (not necessary but helps to let the engine get to hot) in the car start the car let the engine get up to temperature and you should see flow around 160-180 depending on your thermostat. Verify the fan is working at this time too and the bottom hoses isn't sucking shut or clogged.

You could run a 160 Tstat but it sounds like you're fan might not be working appropriately.

Do you have that little black air dam installed?

Also if you see a lot of fluctuation in temperature make sure that little wire on the temperature sensor is tight. Its on the driver side lower intake.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Also check to make sure your e fan is rated for enough cfm to do the job. There are several on the market that don't pull as much as some stock oem fans.

Thanks all. Last night I put a new clutch and a new blade on. Seems to be running good. I let idle for a while and took on a local road trip. The gauge was on the a of normal. I popped the cap of when I got back stuck a turkey thermometer in rad n it was like 175, 180. So I'll stick the thermostat in her tonight.

Reactions: 1 user