Overspray removal

mpentico

Dec 7, 2004
I recently had to replace my 05 GT due to a nice womans refusal to stop for a red light. :mad:

My "new" ride is also an 05 GT.
However, it appears someone had minor bodywork done to the car in Bubba's back yard. Not only were they too lazy to remove the front grille and turn signal lenses when they painted the bumper cover, but they failed to properly tape the passenger side fender. So I have a small area of overspray. The overspray is on the clearcoat. Anyone have a quick solution to remove this? I can not recall if it is Naptha or Methanol or whatever chemical that can be safely used to remove this kind of thing without damaging the clearcoat.

Any suggestions?????

• Sponsors (?)

I own a clay bar and know how to use it.

But what if the overspray is more of direct spray?
Will a clay bar still cut through it? It is pretty rough overspray. :shrug:

That might require wet sanding/buffing.

Agreed. It's possible that you can get it off with a consumer grade clay bar, it's possible you might need an aggressive clay bar, it's possible that it might need to be polished/cleaned out or even wet sanded and buffed. It's hard to diagnose problems like this over the internet, especially without a picture ...

I sprayed up my side GT emblems and taped the crap out of my car... I did get overspray on the door and upper fender.

I took some paint thinner and did a quick wipe. I then used a degreaser, took up all the left over crap. Lastly, I polished it up and it was back to normal. Cant ever tell I did anything...