p/p intake ?'s

ace184

Jun 8, 2004
charleston
alright. first off, sorry if this is in the wrong category. im new to this and was thinkin bout gettin p/p intakes. i saw some from rpm-mustangs, and i have some questions.

one-do i have to do both at the same time. or can i get the upper, then a cpl months get the lower?

two-would i be able to do it myself or would a shop have to put them on? r those bolt-ons or would i need to get other stuff to properly fit them?

three-what kinda gains in hp and mpg can i expect?

i searched the other cats. but couldnt find straight answers. thanks for the help.

and what do they mean by "core charge"?

• Sponsors (?)

1. Yes you can do it in stages, upper then lower or vice versa.

2. If you have some basic tools and some mechanical know how it shouldn't be too difficult, but again how comfortable are you with cars??

3. Gains are minimal, the majority of porting gains are in the heads not the manifolds. So maybe about 10 to 20 HP gain if you did both, but thats just speculation on my part, but I would spend money else where first, put it into gears to start with, and if you wanna dive into the engine look at getting a cam and heads first, or just a bit better cam to match a stock engine. You could talk to Mik at RPM about doing something like that.

To do it yourself, would take a bit of confidence and a ton of patience as well.

The core charge is what you will pay extra if you do not give them your old parts back. You basically pay for the work they do on the parts, not the actual parts themselves. That's why you get that money back from them once you put the p/p intakes on your car, and then send your old stuff back to them.

i work on jet engines. so i think ill b able to work on a car engine. provided i have decent instructions. but w/ my schedule its hard to get anything done. work 630pm-630 sat-tue w/ wed-fri off. but most of that time is spent sleepin

98StangRidah said:
Where does RPM get their intakes/heads and such from? Do they take those that are send in, work on them, sell them, and then work again on the ones the person sent in? I'm just curious.

When you place your order, they do the work on someone else's core exchange. After you send your in, they become someone else's new stuff.

Ghostalker said:
also, if one is better than another, which?

Just look at the flow numbers, and compare. Usually the more flow, the better HP out of the Heads or Intake. You also want to make sure the numbers will work for your applications N/A vs. S/C or T/C.

You might also consider a 5 angle valve job over a 3 angle, as the 5 will flow better. Also ask about unshrouding your valve intakes as well. That helps to open the valve holes up better in order to let the air flow in under less restrictions.

Roller rockers and a new cam would also further increase airflow to the cylinder chambers by opening the valve up more. The rockers would just be better in that they require less energy to open/close.

Also, when geting pp work done on intakes, your best gains would be when they cut the intake in half in order to get all of the surfaces ported and polished. Then they weld it back together.

Also check out Super Six Motorsports sheet metal intake under their Formula 403 package. Looks pretty sweet! :nice: