P0353

mirawho

May 28, 2010
I have seen a lot of different discussions on this error code. I started running rough and happened to have a meter on me. I got this code. Made it to where I was going. Sat there for the day and when I went to restart it, it went on fine. Reset the code and drove home. Next day I picked up a coil in anticipation as I did not see any obvious wire problems. It crapped out again so I replaced the coil. It ran great. Went home, ran perfect. Started up the next day and went about 1/4 mile and started running rough. If I stop, turn it off and restart, it runs fine for a while. Also, if I turn it off while I am driving and turn it on again, it runs fine for a bit. I am leaning towards the ECU right now, but am also going to do a more thorough wiring check. Suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Might be handy for us to know the Model Year.

From the Ford service CD:

Open or short in Ignition START/RUN circuit
Open coil driver circuit
Coil driver circuit shorted to ground
Damaged coil
Damaged PCM
Coil driver circuit shorted to VPWR

Yeah, the year probably would have helped. It's a 99 coupe. I am going to go over all the wiring more thoroughly today so will post if I find the problem for others that experience this. Like I said, I am leaning towards the ECU as when I turn it off and turn it back on it starts fine. Hard to imagine a short reacting that way. But I am looking anyway. Will post results.