Paint and Body Paint Help!!!!

Rokhound

Oct 24, 2016
I just traded my Hyundai for an 1989 GT. Title says red, but the previous owner spray painted it black and then clear coated with a gun. You can see swirls from the clear coat. I was wondering if there would led be any way to buff it to make i look presentable until I get the funds to have it professionally painted or should I just sand it down and try to primer myself? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

John

• Sponsors (?)

I just traded my Hyundai for an 1989 GT. Title says red, but the previous owner spray painted it black and then clear coated with a gun. You can see swirls from the clear coat. I was wondering if there would led be any way to buff it to make i look presentable until I get the funds to have it professionally painted or should I just sand it down and try to primer myself? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

John
Let me see a couple pictures of what you're talking about please.

Here's the door side

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    624 KB · Views: 143
So, it's a pretty rough paint job.

You can try color sanding it relatively smooth first and then start buffing that out.

It'll take quite a bit of work to really fix it. How much time do you want to invest into the car?

I use it for a daily driver but, being I have always wanted a fox body, I'll be keeping it for quite some time. I just didn't know if trying to pretty it up before I had it really painted (about 2 yrs hopefully) or just leave it as is. It's kind of heart burn looking at I though.

Well, you can always start by replacing the trim, or sanding it down and respraying it SEM trim black so it's somewhat correct.

When you paint it in a few years, they are going to do this anyway, so might as well get a start.

Late model resto and American muscle have all new trim and seals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have big dreams for her cause she does need some work. I thought I got a deal at $3000(trade). No rust on body that I could see or tell, I ran a magnet all over her. I didn't really think there would be too of an easy fix on that because they must've used 30 cans, it is on thick!! Lol

Thanks guys! I'll post progression thread too that way you all an steer me in the right direction. It runs out really well so I am excited making it look as good as it was....Or at least close.

Thanks guys! I'll post progression thread too that way you all an steer me in the right direction. It runs out really well so I am excited making it look as good as it was....Or at least close.
Are you wanting to go back to the original color?

If you need help with the buffing of it, pm me and I'll give you my phone number and I'll talk you through it the best I can with what you have.

I am torn. I have been looking at different options since I am not really a fan of bright red so I don't know what to do. Guess I got excited I got a fox and trying to get each process in order like paint, interior, then maybe fool with the motor.

That is awesome Dave! Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
I am torn. I have been looking at different options since I am not really a fan of bright red so I don't know what to do. Guess I got excited I got a fox and trying to get each process in order like paint, interior, then maybe fool with the motor.

That is awesome Dave! Thanks. I really appreciate it.
Honestly, if it's running right now, i would make it comfortable first. Do the interior.

Also though, the first thing should be safety, take a good look at your brakes. Then maybe some mild suspension like new shocks and isolators for the springs. New bushings all around.

First real modification should be sub frame connectors. That will keep it from feeling like a whale through corners.

Then start after the paint. Don't save this for the end, but make it a fun car first since paint and body, and the surprises you're bound to find under that black paint job will seem like they're taking forever to fix. If you wait till everything else is ready, it makes it tough to spend the time making it look sweet. You'll want to get out and drive and figure you can get to the paint later.

Just speaking from experience here. You can go in whatever order you would like, obviously. Do make it safe first though.

I never thought of it that way! I guess I was thinking the big thing being paint and then can replace as you go. You can tell I'm new at this. That makes total since though. I think I will take your advice on interior first. I have looked at mechanics and all is in working order minus the headlamp switch failing, which I have one on the way. Thanks a lot!